97 Explorer 5.0 swap into a 89 LX Stang?

Hello all,
I have a 101K motor and i have the opportunity to pick up a explorer motor with 43K miles on it. It is a DIS motor and i was wondering if anyone knew if it would bolt up to my factory aod with out too much headache? I am swapping to a C4 actually and have the 157tooth 50oz flexplate i am just not familiar with the explorer motors and heard it was a GT40 motor and thought i would throw this out there to see what you smart guys know. I am fairily new to Fuel Injected motors so I dont know. The Explorer motor is DIS and that is the only thing i would think would be a problem. I would need to put a distributor in it, if i can... Also do these motors come with Forged Pistons? How do i identify the motor Gt40 or GT40P?? Which is best?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

turborides said:
Hello all,
I have a 101K motor and i have the opportunity to pick up a explorer motor with 43K miles on it. It is a DIS motor and i was wondering if anyone knew if it would bolt up to my factory aod with out too much headache? I am swapping to a C4 actually and have the 157tooth 50oz flexplate i am just not familiar with the explorer motors and heard it was a GT40 motor and thought i would throw this out there to see what you smart guys know. I am fairily new to Fuel Injected motors so I dont know. The Explorer motor is DIS and that is the only thing i would think would be a problem. I would need to put a distributor in it, if i can... Also do these motors come with Forged Pistons? How do i identify the motor Gt40 or GT40P?? Which is best?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

It has a different cam, waterpump is shallower and spins in the opposite direction, the EGR set up is all different, Throttle Body opens horizontally so it won't hook up to your Mustang throttle cable. The block its self is the same as the 91-93 Mustang 5.0L so it should bolt up to a T-5 or AOD (I'd double check that). You'll have to do some research to really know how much of a headache it is. But the bonus is 96-97 1/2 Explorer 5.0L have the GT40 heads on them and the intake are similar to the Cobra intakes and with some porting will flow about the same numbers. 97 1/2 and up you get the GT40P heads which are claimed to make even better horsepower. The drawback on the GT40Ps is getting headers for them.

I found most of this info on the net so surf away!