Engine 97 Gt Miss??

hellykobbs

Sep 16, 2012
Ive had this car for a year or so and been trying to solve this myserty myself but to no avail..
When i open the throttle more than 1/2 way it has a miss starting about 2800 rpms and gets worse as the rpms climb. As the engine warms up the misses get worse, to where it will barely go above 5200 rpms. it fells like an ignition problem, like an intermittant plug misfire. i replced all 8 plugs and wires. No change. Then i replaced both coil packs. Still no change. Cleaned MAF and that didnt help. Had a GOOD but used MAF that i put on the car and the problem still persisted. Has a new fuel pump and pressure is right on. Does not have Cats so no O2 sensors. And the topper is NO CODES... So im at a loss...scarily close to tears.

Please baby jesus... a lil help here!!

• Sponsors (?)

If the miss is so severe, you can't get above 5200rpm, then clearly it is affecting most of the cylinders instead of just 1-2. If you are less than half throttle, does the engine still miss above 2800?

I would suspect something like a cam/crank sensor, or some other sensor is causing the problem since many cylinders are affected instead of just a couple.

TPS sensor maybe? Did you upgrade the throttle body? If you haven't changed the throttle body then probably not even worth looking into. The crank sensor or cam sensor makes sense too. Anyone know how to test one with basic volt meter, what the ohm reading needs to be? Might need to use an oscilloscope to view the wave shape but not sure. Maybe someone will know more on the test procedure here.