Roush 97 S351 vs 03 Extreme

• Sponsors (?)

You are comparing apples and oranges. Two completely different cars. If you are thinking about a daily driver forget about the S351. If you are looking for a long term investment get the S351. Nothing at all wrong with an "E" car. They have potential to be road killers also. There are exceptions always but in the long term, there needs to be something special about what someone will drop a lot of cash on and the S351 cars are already legendary. There may be quite a few guys that feel the same way some feel for S351's in a few years but we will have to wait and see. Of course I own one. I am currently looking for an "E" car for a daily driver also.
If you do decide on an S351 you are better off buying one with the upgrade/fix or one with a new motor if you want to drive it at all. Otherwise, for investment purposes find the lowest mile, cleanest example you can find and wrap it in plastic.
If you want detailed info, PM either "Animal" or myself.

Oh yea, the car for 27k is rough and a driver. It has 25k miles on it. Thats like 100K miles on a 2002 Saleen Mustang for comparison. There is a black 98 S351R in Boston for more money but is cleaner. There is or was a 95 on www.performanceautosport.com That is a much better car. There is a red car, a 95 also. It is clean but the guy is firm. Like I said, contact "animal" or myself for more info.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Apollo 13 said:
I've only owned mod motors. I'm impressed with the performance though, considering the size. Plus, I like the way they look.

Why is it that the mileage is so much harder on the 351s instead of the 281s? If its taken care of, I don't see the problem.
Pushrod motors have become old technology.
With a supercharger on one, you are very likely to blow a head gasket eventually, especially if you kick the crap out of the car. There really is alot of parts succeptable to damage on the engine.

Modular motors on have one weak point (excluding the 03-04 cobras), and it's the block and internals. You beef them up like the s281E and you can beat the car all day long, and jam it with tons of boost.

If you put good internals in the pushrod motor you can do the same with it. Its all in the combo and what expectation you have out of it. The problem with driving the S351 daily is that some have the factory tune which isn't safe! The earlier ones have weak pistons. For myself, I could drive mine cross country and not worry about a thing. I built the motor though and upgraded the electronics to support it. With the way mine is set-up it has the in traffic manners of some of my old muscle cars. I like that so I guess it is personal preference. I could more tame if I put it back stock, but that wouldn't be alot of fun. Mine has about 14,000 mile son it right now. It has a notorious history though and some of those miles were hard miles. It has ran mid 8's in the 1/4 before I bought it. Long story on that. The 4.6 cars are technologically more advanced, but both cars have their points. It all depends on what you like. Me, being the gearhead, I love the pushrod motor. I know I have rare cars so I no longer push them too much. I have a semi-racecar for that now. If I had to go with a 4.6 car I would search for a 03/04 Saleen Cobra. To be honest I think it would be a better investment that a E model and they respond to mods great. The mods aren't very expensive either. I rode in a 03 a few months ago that would give stay close to my S351. All he had was a chip, cold air kit, lightning blower pulley, long-tube headers, and a cat-back!

I guess Marcus, Scott and myself are a little biased when it comes to this question since we own 5 S351's between the three of us. Throw in Scott's other mustangs, Marcus's 2 89's and my two 85's and we are have a nice little ford push-rod family. :D

If you what to compare rarity. There were not as many 02-04 E cars built compared to the 94-99 S351's. Remember between 94-95 Saleen depended on their only model car, the S351. In 1995 alone, more S351's we built then 02-04 E cars combined. I guess it would depend on the preference of the person. If you want to compare power, ....... I'll tell you what, I'll have Michael give you a ride in his 02 S281E and then you can go for a spin in either one of my two S351's and that should help you decide :nice:

My vote is an S351 (white prefered) :p

The E's have what 425 hp, right?
That's wouldn't cut it for me for a 50,000 car.
The s351 should easily whoop the E on the street.
If i remember correctly back a few years in MM and FF, they took a s351 vert, put slicks on it, and banged out an 11.33, they figured with a gear change it would go high 10's.

I personally would rate the Saleen Cobra's a little higher than the "E" model. Just because of it's known potential. I am still partial to the 351 car though. It was the car the musclecar guys wantedfrom Ford, but Ford was afraid to produce. Ford did the Cobra R in 95, but it is watered down compared to the S351.

My Personal rating in order:
1) Cobra Saleen
2) 2004 281 E (with 445hp)
3) S351

The value on all of these seems very low right now. If this was going to be a nice driver that you didn't want to modify, I would choose the 04 281E without a question.