'97 V6 with sluggish auto tranny

nickthegenius

Dec 23, 2002
Elwood, IN
I friend of mine came over and we installed the struts and shocks off of my GT on his '97 V6 today. I replaced them with 800 miles on the odometer so they were like new. We took it for a drive and he started explaining to me that his tranny had been acting funny. If you are driving between 35 and 45mph when it needs to do the 2nd-3rd upshift, it hesitates and actually will shake. It wasn't too bad today at least to me, but he said that the colder it is the worse it gets.

Anyone had this sort of problem before? What is the most economical fix?

BTW, his car as about 72k miles on it.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

nickthegenius said:
I friend of mine came over and we installed the struts and shocks off of my GT on his '97 V6 today. I replaced them with 800 miles on the odometer so they were like new. We took it for a drive and he started explaining to me that his tranny had been acting funny. If you are driving between 35 and 45mph when it needs to do the 2nd-3rd upshift, it hesitates and actually will shake. It wasn't too bad today at least to me, but he said that the colder it is the worse it gets.

Anyone had this sort of problem before? What is the most economical fix?

BTW, his car as about 72k miles on it.

Thanks!

I had this same problem with my car a for about a year or two then my transmission started slipping and eventually it went out and all I had was first and second gear, well half of second gear. Then I had to replace it, so I called around and I found a transmission out of a 96 that is now in my car. This is weird.....it must be something about the 97's.

Replacing the fluid *may* help the shutter, but as far as hesitation goes thats probably valve body related or otherwise something mechanical. Mine has had a slight hesitation into OD since I got it which is, according to an Aamco, a problem with AODE's, but I dunno about a '97 with the 4R70W.