97'Cobra weak points

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you shouldlook under the front bumper to see if they have bumbed many curbs while parking. That usually reflects how the car has been treated. Also, make sure the tranny shifts well in high rpm's and that reverse works good. Listen for any ticking sounds from the engine compartment because these beasts are known for a tension pully going bad.

SVTdriver said:
Check the rear swaybar. Those things break with an alarming frequency. I'm working on number 3 in 4 years. Definately check the trannies ability to shift between 1st and 2nd.

I drive a 95' vert, and about a week ago my rear swaybar broke. I thought it was just a fluke. Now is this a problem with after market swaybars as well?

Depends onwhich aftermarket one you get. But from what I've heard. Most aftermarket ones are solid not hollow. Which is supposed to help. Though every one that I have heard of breaking broke in the solid mounting area. Mine and my friends have all torn through the bolt holes.

Yellow - Make sure your friend can get a test drive in the car. If he is driving or the owner is driving, make sure it's revved past 5k and a quick shift from 1st to 2nd. This is not going to hurt the engine/tranny if done correctly. You don't have to powershift it or slam it hard, just shift quickly at above 5k. If it grinds, you might want to pass or get it checked out.

Also, the engine sounds like a sewwing machine, it's normal!

The rear end on my 97 leaks. I fixed it twice allready and it is leaking again. The leather sucks in these cars too. Also my car only has 25k miles. I bought it brand new and baby it. The black paint on radio button are wearing out and the trim around the radio. Car has been overall good, my 93 I think it a much better built car.