Engine 97gt Cracked Valve Cover?

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by 97GTSTANG, Jun 13, 2013.

1. 97GTSTANG

97GTSTANG Founding Member

Whenever I start the car, it looks like oil is dripping from the passenger side valve cover and after the car is warm smoke starts to come through the vent. I was told the valve cover might be cracked. If I purchase a replacement is it difficult to replace? Is it just to remove amd replace or do I have to have timing adjusted again?I just had the heads replaced last year and everything is set perfectly and car runs great.

2. bhuff30

bhuff30 Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I'd say it is much more likely you just need to replace the valve cover gasket/seal. Unless someone cranked down the valve cover bolts too tight when the heads were replaced, I don't see the valve cover being cracked.. and that issue would have shown up immediately. So keep the cover handy and replace it if you want while everything is apart, but make sure you replace that gasket. The job can be a royal PITA since there is so little room between the shock tower and cover, but as I recall the passenger side has more room to work.

3. Jhussey1280

Jhussey1280 Member

It's not too bad changing the valve covers on the SN95. It's a mildly tight fit but not too bad. Just take your time and go slow.

4. Modular2v

Modular2v Founding Member

oil cooler gasket....goes out all the time!