'98 Cobra Chip Opinions

Chip my stock 1998 Cobra?

• Total voters

sinisterblack98

Sometimes I just lay on my garage floor and look u
Founding Member
Apr 11, 2000
Motor City, MI
I'm getting spring fever and making plans for when I bring the Cobra out.

I'm having 31 spline axles and a pig put in shortly and while it's at Alternative I thought about getting a chip burned. The only NEED for a chip right now is the O/R pipe I'm going to put on, (I don't like MIL eliminators on '98s).

Is a chip on an otherwise stock Cobra a waste of money? My GT had some room for chip improvement (gears w/ auto trans, shift points, premium fuel, timing, etc.), but I can't see any need for the stock Cobra.

My bad experiences w/ '98 MIL eliminators was with Casper Electronics, any '98 only owners with other brands that work?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think that a chip on a stock car will yield you much bennefit for the price. The 98 has a more aggressive pcm tune from the factory..one of the reasons the 98 is more sought than the 96/97. (I know there are other reasone, but pointing this one out).

I'd look at upgrading to 4.30's...I think you'd be more happy with the performance/cost there since they are gonna be in the rear anyway.

I have a set of MILs that I bought off Ebay and I've had no problems out of them.

I also made a set that worked fine for $8 from radio shack. Here's the link on my site if you want to try them yourself... Click Me!

I'm leaning towards holding off on the chip until I S/C this car.

I went back and forth on the 4.10 vs. 4.30 debate. It will always be a street car, Lidio @ Alternative said go 4.10s (he used to recommend 4.30s), and I got the gears for free from my Ford buddy.

So with those in mind...I'm going 4.10s. Even if I had to pay for them, I'd still go with Lidio's 4.10 recommendation, he's never steered me wrong.

COBRA_SVT_VERT said:
I don't think that a chip on a stock car will yield you much bennefit for the price. The 98 has a more aggressive pcm tune from the factory..one of the reasons the 98 is more sought than the 96/97. (I know there are other reasone, but pointing this one out).

I'd look at upgrading to 4.30's...I think you'd be more happy with the performance/cost there since they are gonna be in the rear anyway.

I have a set of MILs that I bought off Ebay and I've had no problems out of them.

I also made a set that worked fine for $8 from radio shack. Here's the link on my site if you want to try them yourself... Click Me!

Did the Radio Shack MIL elims work on the '98? For $8, I don't mind experimenting.

sinisterblack98 said:
Did the Radio Shack MIL elims work on the '98? For $8, I don't mind experimenting.

The ones that I had before I made my own were plug and play...I made those from radio shack because I thought mine were bad, but when I determined it was the O2s instead, I went back with the plug and play and haven't had any problems out of them yet.

So I'm not sure, but several other folks say they used the same diagram/parts list and they worked fine for them.

For the money, it's hard not to try like you said.