98 cobra rod failure

eezibleed

Sep 17, 2005
my 1998 cobra shattered number 6 piston and rod.

The car is at Ford. They pulled the oil pan and inspected the damage. They want 8k for a rebuilt motor installed.

The dealer tech said it was caused by lack of oil. There is no evidence of water or coolant in the pan. I assume coolant turns the oil gray (at least that’s what happened 30 years ago with my Boss 302 when a piston when through the cylinder wall.

The oil was changed at the Ford dealer on June 10.

The car was parked for 2 weeks. The car was driven lightly for 2 weeks.

On July 15 the engine blew.

I was accelerating into traffic when the engine blew. During acceleration the engine was sluggish. Next came a boom and a cloud of smoke.

The coolant light has been on and off for some time but every time a checked the level it was OK. I spoke with Jeff at SVT who said that coolant could drip into the oil if a head gasket was blown and that I should check the coolant level with the motor running. The dealer did an inspection at the oil change and stated the coolant level was OK.

The dealer put in 6 quarts of 5w 20.

I am trying to find the root cause and hoping I can tie it to the oil change.

Comments appreciated.

Second question: does the onboard computer store the odometer value?

• Sponsors (?)

Out of curiosity, did you ever verify the oil level in your car? I'm just curious, I don't know how you could tie the engine failure to their oil change unless you had concrete proof they did not fill it properly... it would just be your word against theirs I think

8k...?

:jaw:

You might be better off buying a low mile used Cobra engine, or finding the best price on a new one with warrenty if thats what your going for. I think I heard somewhere they go between 4-5k (assuming its not an 03-04 S/C'd engine). Sorry, but 8k just sounds like your getting taken for a ride man. Actually, that just seems plain obsurd. Thats why people call them stealerships.

BurningRubber said:
8k...?

:jaw:

You might be better off buying a low mile used Cobra engine, or finding the best price on a new one with warrenty if thats what your going for. I think I heard somewhere they go between 4-5k (assuming its not an 03-04 S/C'd engine). Sorry, but 8k just sounds like your getting taken for a ride man. Actually, that just seems plain obsurd. Thats why people call them stealerships.
Aspecialy when the stealership charges 95-100 per. hour to work
on your car or troubleshoot.

did you check out the oil pump? The stock oil pump gears are known to break thats why the billit gears are so popular.

+1 Almost all Mustang shops sell the upgrade because the stock plastic ones are notorious for breaking. Thats why I always keep an eye on my pressure gauge.

Brothersperformance .com sells Ford Racing 2000 Cobra engines for $6000. It includes: 320 HP 2000 engine, Tremec 5 Speed and crossmember, exaust headers and H-pipe, T-body 62mm, Alternator, power steering, coolant hoses, wire harness, EEC V, anti-theft, new keys, air intake, MAF sensor, Cobra dash instrument pod. IMO killer deal:nice:
1-800-486-2681 is their number

Hope it helps

unless your oil pressure gage is aftermarket, it's useless. by the time the stock gauge shows loss of pressure, you're already screwed.

I know I cant get an accurate reading from the stock gauge as far as exact psi, but I can use it to see if there is enough and it moves just as fast as an aftermarket if the pressure goes away. The sending unit on stock is a good piece, just no markings on the gauge itself.
Hey DB, did you check out the first part of the "Im stupid, and a little mad" thread?
To answer the question of the speeding ticket.
Sorry:OT: , not trying to hijack:D