98 Gt axle into fox

BIGDATOWN

Dec 3, 2010
This question may have answered somwhere else but I have some questions. My car is a 90 lx with sn95 front brakes, and i'm fixing to swap in a 98 gt axle with disc brakes. What specifically do i need to change to make this swap perform at its best?

• Sponsors (?)

Just the rearend to perform?Well brake lines and e brake cables.But best also to do the MC and booster also.But the rearend will be wider so your selection will be limited on wheels.Or swap out those axles for fox lenth axles and then you will need the caliper mounting brackets from northcoast racecars (i think thats what the company is called)peace

john:p

OK... What master cylinder? what booster? What brake lines? What cables? I need some specific answers before I start spending money on this. Already have the wheels that will fit before and after the swap. My car is already 5 lug. I'm looking to make sure my brakes perform at there best, not the rear end..

Well, which SN95 front brakes? I'm gonna assume 94-98 66mm single piston GT brakes?

If so you need:

94-95 GT/V6 Master Cylinder 1 1/16" bore
Booster: 93 Cobra, 94-95 ANY or 99-04 V6 booster
3-2 conversion for above MC
Adjustable prop valve
Ford Racing prop valve plug
e-brake cables (part numbers escape me at the moment, i'll reply later and update)
94-95 rear axle soft lines
2 x weatherhead 7818 adapters
transfer your rear axle hard brake lines over to the SN95 axle

You are correct on the brakes. The are not the 99-up front assembly.Two questions tho. #1 I was told that I could swap out the proportining valve inside the brass from a 94-95gt/v6 car and not need the adjustable prop valve. any truth? or would I have better results with the way you described? #2 what are the weather head adapters for?

Since you are already 5 lug, it may be better for you to skip the whole rear (unless you are getting it very cheap) And piece together a setup and use the northracecar brackets.
Trust me, you don't want the wider rear, makes it tough to get the right wheels. So if you ever change your mind, you are screwed.

I also feel that the booster isn't necessary. I used a 93 cobra mc and that was it.

Yeah i'm getting the rear very cheap!! It has been completly rebuilt with 3.73 gears added. And a fresh braking system. I dont mind the extra width because I can easily have what I want made. As of right now I run 03 bullet wheels. And may end up purchasing a set of 04 cobra wheels which even at 10.5 wide they have a higher offset than most wheels.I priced everything if I pieced it together and it woud cost 5 times what I will have in this rear end!

You are correct on the brakes. The are not the 99-up front assembly.Two questions tho. #1 I was told that I could swap out the proportining valve inside the brass from a 94-95gt/v6 car and not need the adjustable prop valve. any truth? or would I have better results with the way you described? #2 what are the weather head adapters for?

The adjustable valve is $40 and a much better option. Will allow you to adjust for different weight bias than 94-95 and allow for compensating for stickier rear tires, or weight reduction mods such as glass hoods, or aluminum heads.

Can you swap out the valve from a 94/95 gt/v6 work? Yes. Is it ideal? Not really.

Weather head adapters are for adapting the 94-95 rear brake soft lines tomyour fox axle had line. If you make a custom line, you might not need these.

I'm also not sure on the booster but i would think it would just make the pedal effort alot easier more than more stopping power. BUT could be wrong and have been before

I would recommend the booster. I ran my cobra setup with the stock booster and it required too much pedal effort for my liking. But you can always try it out with the stock booster first and change if you want.

Also, you will not be able to run 10.5" wheels with this axle. You will need to modify it with the custom brackets and your 5lug drum axles to run wheels 9" wide or larger.

You might be able to use 9" wide s197 offset wheels :shrug:

There are the e brake cables you need for a 87-92 mustang. 1993 uses different cables

One of these
Ford Racing M-2810-A - Ford Racing Parking Brake Cables - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Two of these
Ford Racing M-2809-A - Ford Racing Parking Brake Cables - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Ok thanks guys!! So if I wanted too, I could buy a set of northcar brackets and use my fox 5 lug axles to make it basically a fox axle?

Yup. All you need are the brackets. Then take whatever other parts you need off the other axle and then sell the rest. Depending on how cheap you got the axle for, you should make your money back and pay for the north race car brackets too.

If you go 94-98 axles, you can run these wheels with no trouble.

17x9 +24mm offset. Wheels and tires with a 275 will be right out at the edge. Fender lip rolling would be necessary if your car is really low. If it's stock height, or slightly lowered, you don't need to do it.

17x9 +45mm offset. This will be ideal. No fender lip rolling necessary. Run a 275 or even upto a 295.

17x8 +30mm offset. This is your stock Mustang wheel on any 94-04 car. This will look good as well.

I tried putting a 17x10.5 +27mm offset with a 315 Kuhmo tire on the back of my fox with a 94-98 axle. It was sooooo close. I bet that wheel with a 295 would have worked. I wouldn't recommend it cause they are filling out the wheel well too much. Not sticking out past the quarter, but not enough in the wheel well.