98 Gt...yes I Know.... Mods?!

DriveGT46

Sep 6, 2003
Well, my car is slow... its way fun but its slow... i coudnt run with a new grand prix practically. Now... my car just turned over 23k, yes i know very low for 98... i got lucky. Anyways... Mongoose... would it get me to where u could beat STI's lets say? I wouldnt mind to run with a new 05. I plan on working full time for the next year to pay for all the mods to come. What would you do with a bone stock 98 GT that wants to get blown in the future... Yes i know another what would u do question but plz help out.
Ive got about 600 saved but hopefully this full time will bring in the loads. Im only 19 and still live with mommy and daddy so i have a lot of wants that are going to be haved in the next year.

Thanks Brendan!

• Sponsors (?)

Wow congrats that you only have a 98 GT with 23K on it
thats great! :nice:
With that low of miles thats a great platform for supercharging.
The Mongoose kit from MPH is a great deal and it comes complete
with everything needed! Save your funds now till next year and you
will be getting that Mongoose kit.Get the upgraded mongoose kit
to the Vortech T trim and you will be blowing the doors off a STI! :nice:

HAHA yeah i wish! Find me and Engine for a reasonalbe amount and i'll think about it! Im talking little mods... its bone stock no exhaust or anything... give me some more ideas that will help improve performance for the Mongoose.
Id need new internals with the T trim wouldnt I? That would produce huge amounts of boost.

Start with some gears, you will need them for any route you decide to take. Gears plus install will set you back about $400. With that extra $200 Id get a shifter if its a 5 speed. Just those two things will make your car alot more fun to drive ..

oohsoobad2 said:
Start with some gears, you will need them for any route you decide to take. Gears plus install will set you back about $400. With that extra $200 Id get a shifter if its a 5 speed. Just those two things will make your car alot more fun to drive ..
:stupid: That is exactly what I have done so far. You should also get a PI intake w/adapter plates. That will add about 20 some horses and work well with your SC. Don't forget some sub-frame connectors so you don't twist your frame with all that new power.

DriveGT46 said:
HAHA yeah i wish! Find me and Engine for a reasonalbe amount and i'll think about it! Im talking little mods... its bone stock no exhaust or anything... give me some more ideas that will help improve performance for the Mongoose.
Id need new internals with the T trim wouldnt I? That would produce huge amounts of boost.
With a awesome tune your bottom end would
hold up for a long time if you didn't beat on it everywhere you go but,
in the sometime in the future you would want to do new internals.
If you are going small than Pi Headswap PI Headswap PI Headswap
PI Headswap! :nice:

DriveGT46 said:
What would you do with a bone stock 98 GT that wants to get blown in the future... Yes i know another what would u do question but plz help out.
Blown in the future = No PI headswap!
If you want to go the blower route soon, then steer away from the PI headswap. Take that extra cash and maybe get yours P&P'd if you like before the blower install. Take the Gear Route and go either 3.90/4.10's if you're an Automatic, or if you're 5 Speed Manual go with 3.73/3.90's. Don't forget to go with some Subframe Connectors before, during or very soon after getting the gears! Good job on getting a '98 with that low of miles on it. I just bought a bone stock '98 Vert recently. My first mod will be in the gear department. Going 3.90/4.10's (I don't plan to run a blower) soon. Good luck!

If I had a pre 99 I would do the pi swap, cams, gears.

the pi heads are so cheap it is hard not to ignor it.

I have riden in a 97 with a vortech and it was much quicker than stock car but it was by no means a "fast" car. there was no 12 second time slip in that cars future.

where as heads, cams, headers, gears woudl be cheper than a supercharger and I think would get a 12second pass.

All i hear is PI PI PI! Im a fan of the intake but not the heads... The compression added to the engine would blow if i put a SC on.... i was looking at kenne bell and they ran 14psi in a 99-04 gt... I would prolly guess there was some intence work done inside? If not then damn id do the PI swap and get the 14 PSI kit. 5k for over 500 hp not bad!

Hmm I would ditch the blower idea, I think a S/Cd NPI head car may trap 105. BUT if you through on a set of PI heads and exhaust, your car would not only have DARN near the power of S/Cd but it would be MUCH MUCH MUCH more reliable. After you get 65K of beating any bolton GT and some LS1s as well as the grand prixs THEN you could get the forged bottom end. Then buy the S/C and you would make about 550-600RWHP at around 15PSI. PI swap would cost just over 1K+ $1500 for exhaust( I know, but thats with LTs)+ 300 for a mail in chip (sct 4 bank) + $600 total for gears. For about 3K you could have a GT that would run 12s on slicks at about 105. Then you have the option of S/C later on and can be SOOO much faster. JMO and what i would do.

1992 2.3LX said:
not if he wants to put a blower on it.

i say just throw a Kenne Bell on there and some suspension.
:stupid:

Damn guys, what is with everyone and PI swaps. They're great if you're running N/A but its dyno proven from Kenne Bell that the hp difference is a mere 9rwhp from PI to non PI (+151hp vs +160hp @ 9psi). ENOUGH WITH THE PI HEADS!!!