98 Mustang GT Ticking/Clatter noise at Low RPM

Iceman1987

Jan 17, 2012
Im about done with this car. Noticed ticking noise in engine around 1500- 2500 rpms while accelerating, deceleration and at idle. Took to a shop said it was rod bearings. Then other place said possible bad lifter. Car runs fine just that darn noise is getting worse. Took valve cover off on drivers side, turn car on and no noise. Put new lifters in put cover back on with new gasket. Car make noise still. Im so pissed. People tellin me different things, bad rod bearings, well it would sound different and it tick would come from the bottom. Changed oil no metal shavings that i could see. Again acceleration deceleration and reving it in neutral makes noise. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a rattle noise. My ac compressor locked up and when it did it damaged the clutch pulley. Now it makes a intermittant knocking sound. I thought I had a rod knocking at first then I found it.

Try removing your belt and start it up see if the sound disappears.

Reactions: 1 user
Well its really noticable trough low rpms then goes away above 4000 rpms. Maybe a exhaust leak? I really cant stand this sounds. I got its loudest is at 2500 rpms. It sounds like a penny stuck in a vaccum cleaner...

Not sure. Id take the belt off and see if it goes away, If not then you know its not a belt driven part.

This is a common 4v issue. The dreaded "head tick". I dont have a ton of 2V experience but looking at friends cars it appears Ford didnt put a cooling return on the back of the heads to crossover. The water in the #7&#8 combustion chambers and cylinders gets hot and valve guides wear out. I am sure there is a way to have a machine shop repair the head but everyone I know thats had the issue just replaced the head.

EDIT: read some more and the "pennys in vac" line isnt what the head tick sounds like. That sound description indicates spun bearings.
Now there is another thing that makes that sound. Its bad rails or tensioners on the timing chain. You can check that by removing the acc bolted to the timing cover and the crank pulley and inspect it.
I have had a similar sound and this is what I found:

IMGP1675.jpg

IMGP1674.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP1675.jpg
    IMGP1675.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 748
Or the dreaded squeal coming from inside the engine either indicates a bad rod-bearing or water-pump. Similar to when you had your beloved Land Scarab, I think it was called; Super-Charged was a sick idea for that sleeper looking car.

How many miles on the Mod Motor? Might time for a rebuild, short of changing the timing tensioners, if that is the ticking noise. You could probaly do the rebuild, short of the machining.

Google vids for spun rod bearings. They have a very specific characteristic and you'll be able to tell if that's what you've got.

IMO, "pennies in a can" doesn't sound like a rod bearing. I tend to agree with those above suggesting timing belt tensioner/arms/guides problem(s).

Can you post a decent quality vid of the sound?

Google vids for spun rod bearings. They have a very specific characteristic and you'll be able to tell if that's what you've got.

IMO, "pennies in a can" doesn't sound like a rod bearing. I tend to agree with those above suggesting timing belt tensioner/arms/guides problem(s).

Can you post a decent quality vid of the sound?

Correct me If I am wrong but squealing from the bottom end, near the oil pan, means the beginning of the end of rod bearings, especially if dirt gets in the journals.

Ok i just watched that video and my car sounds nothing like that. Mine sounds much lower in sound and does not do it at idle. Only between 1500 to 2500 rpms. No sound in higher revs. Lifters replaced and just took it to a shop. They say sound is coming from tranny area. My clutch is new, about 5 months. Stock ford racing clutch. They said nothing with the engine. My car runs great just have the damn noise....what the hell is it?????? Rod bearings sound morr like a constant knocking noise mine is more of a tick and only low rpm....

I have heard throw out bearings rattle if the clutch cable is too loose. Also did you replace the pilot bearing in the fly wheel?