98 Mustang GT Ticking/Clatter noise at Low RPM

• Sponsors (?)

Got the same rattle from an aftermarket Throw-Out-Bearing. I'm thinking you have the the Needle-nose type of T.O.B., instead of the one piece desighn the Ford Racing makes. Mine is a Zoom clutch T.O.B. and was replaced twice and still had that infernal rattling. Design flaw, or shall I say terrible design to make something at that high of R.P.M.s needle bearings , while the 2005's and newer have an Hydraulic T.O.B. that don't rattle.

Sometimes if you press a little on the clutch the squealing or a rattling will go away but, if I'm on streets for a while or in stop and go driving the T.O.B. tends to make noise no matter what is done to it.

Well im hoping thats the case. But ive tried pressing on the clutch and reving it, still makes ticking sound. I def dont think its a rod bearing. Ive heard someone say maybe a wristpen?

I'd get a automotive steth scope out and drive the car up on ramps and start poking around until you narrow the area down best you can. Abnormal engine noises can throw even a good mechanic off and should be considered a shade tree diagnosis. It really is hard to narrow it down by ear. I've seen a lot of threads on here with ppl's concern about a sound in the engine where a shop told them it was something serious and a engine rebuild was suggested and it ended up being something way less serious.

If I had to guess:
If you have replaced the lash adjusters with no change and there is no miss fire's which would suggest a valve or spring issue then one area of concern would be the timming chain and components. There's plenty of items behind that cover that can cause odd noises.
T/O bearing and clutch cable and trans noises tho you should be able to easily tell a trans making noise from the engine area. I once chased a noise in my Fox that sounded bottom end engine and it was the clutch cable cover loose on the T5.

Like everyone else said before a vid would help a ton

Ok so today we took the tranny out...due to the noise coming from clutch area. Found that the shaft the bearing goes on in the tranny is snapped. Which i guess is making the vibration with the bearing. Bearing looked kinda of bad too. So basically gunna get new shaft and see what happens. Not sure if i have to open the whole tranny to replace it or i can push it in. Its a t45 tranny..

This may sound kinda stupid and simple but have you verified that all the spark plugs are snug and correctly torqued? I had a loose plug and it was making a tick/tap sound.

edit: oops, made a judgement without reading entire thread.

This is reallly starting to piss me off now. Just put back the tranny with new shaft retainer and throwout bearing, turn car on.....rev it....no noise. But once car is warmed up, ticking or chatter noise reving it and driving it. Def still sounds like near tranny area in the front near clutch. We never dud take off the clutch tho. Gunna take it to actuall tranny shoo and see what they say. This is getting out of hand. Although i do have to say, clutch feels much better easier to drice. But this damn sound is getting old.

I would have taken the clutch off and check it out and the pilot bearing and flywheel bolts. Of do that before you take to a shop

Sent mobile via tapatalk

Not sure. I honestly have not taken the tranny out of a 4.6 car yet. Im a newb to 4.6 I am a 5.0 fox body guy.

I would still take it apart before I got raped by a shop.

Its only going to be a guess by anyone. The only way to know what it really is will be to take it apart and no shop will take it apart for free.