98GT pullies on a '99GT!?!?

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by HoustonGT, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Hey guys, 98RioRedGT sent me his MAC pullies off of his 1998 GT. I looked at them and they seem right, but i wanna know for sure that they will fit on my 1999 GT?? Anyone on here know? and im getting a new belt to put on too, so im guessing i should get the stock size, right?

-I went to a local shop and they tried to charge me 142.50 to install the pullies, said it was about 2 hours of labor. :mad: There is no way i would pay that much, some of you guys were saying that it should only cost about 50-60 bucks, am i wrong?

2. From my understanding the pullies should be fine. Ford changed the design of the water pump in mid 2001, so you're straight there.

I have no idea how much install should be but 142 bucks sounds like a lot IMO. I definitely wouldn't pay more than $100. If you have the right tools, you and a buddy can do it in the driveway.

3. Houston, I did also check that the pullies will work. Like the post above says the change came in mid 2001. So your safe there. The install for me was only about $100 for all three pullies. Yes buy a stock size replacement belt. Good luck with the install, you won't be disapointed with the results.

4. go to autozone & "rent" a pully puller & do it yourself, to save some cash :nice:

5. ok, guys thanks alot for the help. Ya i figured that 142 was too much, i was hoping for around 75, but i guess ill save up a 100 and then do it. Thanks Alot for the pullies 98GtRioRed.

6. Considering the shop rate where you asked might be around 70 an hour, 140 total is right. The problem I see is the 2 hr part, it should in no way take them that long. Find a shop that would do it in about an hour and a half tops, then you are lookin at about 100 bucks.

7. well, thats mainly what i didnt get either. I was pretty sure it would only take 1-1.5 hours tops, but they said 2. I could freakin do it in two with no experience, theyre professionals with airtools and crap, i say 1 hour.

8. hey houstonGT what shop did you take it to? I had my pullies installed at Strictly Performance and it was only $70. Their website is Strictlypro.com Check it out.

9. It cost me $70 to get pullies put on my '88 GT, $150 is a lot of money for a pullies install.

10. 150 would get you the Timing Adjuster, just try installing it yourself, I know I am when I finally order mine :)

11. taking the pulley off the alt. is much easier with air tools.
    What brand of pulleys? You may need a spacer on the Alt. pulley. :D

12. its a set of MAC u/d pullies from a 98Gt.

13. A spacer was not needed on my 98. The pullies are for 96-2000 model year, so I would think it is safe to say no spacer is needed on your 99 HoustonGT.