99-04 Common Issues

The slight stumbling is usually caused by a weak COP or a bad COP spring/boot combo. Unfortunately, the only way to find a weak COP is either to use a known good one and swap them out one at a time until the problem is gone (if it's only 1 that's bad to begin with), or take it to Ford, they have a diagnostic machine just to load test the COPS, and it will show you quickly. It's a little costly, but saved me a ton of time and aggravation. Ended up being 4 weak cops, and 2 that tested good, but the springs were worn out, and not getting a good connection. Replaced the 4 bad ones, and replaced the boot/springs on the other 4, and life has been good since. No stumbling or bucking at low rpms anymore.

I'm surprised that noone's mentioned seatbelts that won't retract, that's the one thing that really ticks me off with my car.

+1 on the seatbelt and BAD COP. i just got done replacing one after doing a DIAG at the stealership.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm surprised that noone's mentioned seatbelts that won't retract, that's the one thing that really ticks me off with my car.

x2 on that one... it's a pretty weak mechanism and requires hand feeding to get back in there.

Also, the stock clutch pedal placement and ridiculously long throw pissed me off so much that I have already replaced the quadrant with an MM aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster... it's 100% better now. $75 well spent. I've had the car 2 weeks to the day.

Thanks to all for the input. Has anyone ever had any issues with the timing chain tensioner failing or wearing out and causing damage to the engine? And what signs would one notice before it fails? Thanks.

Huh? Panther forums? Dont understand the humor of that one. Myself and others were wondering the signs of the timing chain tensioner about to fail.

The "Panther" comment was in reference to the chassis that the 79-present Crown Vic/Marquis are built on. I'm guessing he means that it only seems to be those guys that experience any sort of timing chain tensioner failure.

Owned my 99 GT since day one....here are the issues I've had.

about a month in, had a faulty fuse replaced. caused the car to not crank after turning off.(warranty)
Windshield wipers working by themselves. Replaced stalk(warranty)
Headlights hazed(fixed myself)
Anti theft system would not allow car to crank in temps below 65 degrees.($50.00 part)

Thats it in 10+ years. (69,000 miles)

Never had an issue with the intake cracking..fingers crossed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the radio works fine, I usually stick a credit card in and pop the cd out, although its usually in a different number then what I put it in. Sometimes it holds a cds for weeks, and will not even play.
One time I think i was yelling at it and a lighty hit the CD player and it shot 5 CDs out at me so fast it was creepy lol

On the spark plug launching outta the heads issue, i've got 114k miles on my stock mill, and everythings still strong. and she hasn't had an easy life. Can i expect this? lol Oh, and i've heard a million and a half 4six's in trucks and big cars and other stangs that after they've gotten cold, and you start em up, they make this nasty knockin noise for about the first 5 seconds of running. and some of these vehicles have less miles and have been treated better than mine. Whats up with that? :shrug: the only thing on my car that makes a nasty noise is the throw-out bearing after it gets warmed up.

On the spark plug launching outta the heads issue, i've got 114k miles on my stock mill, and everythings still strong. and she hasn't had an easy life. Can i expect this? lol Oh, and i've heard a million and a half 4six's in trucks and big cars and other stangs that after they've gotten cold, and you start em up, they make this nasty knockin noise for about the first 5 seconds of running. and some of these vehicles have less miles and have been treated better than mine. Whats up with that? :shrug: the only thing on my car that makes a nasty noise is the throw-out bearing after it gets warmed up.

I'm pretty sure the "nasty knockin noise" is piston slap, and it is just the pistons being loose in the bore when cold. Diesel trucks do that on day 1, and run for a million miles and more that way. Lots of LS1 owners had the same complaint, and why some do it and other don't we'll probably never know. But I haven't heard a single report of engine failure down the road from some piston slap at start-up.