99-04 Headlight Question

When you put on your highbeams do both filiments in the bulb illuminate or does just one at a time depending on High or Low Beam? The reason I ask is because it seems my low beams provide more visabilty at night and if I pull the stalk back and hold it with the low beams on, my lights are super bright and would be nice if it could stay this way.

• Sponsors (?)

mcmmotorsports said:
When you put on your highbeams do both filiments in the bulb illuminate or does just one at a time depending on High or Low Beam? The reason I ask is because it seems my low beams provide more visabilty at night and if I pull the stalk back and hold it with the low beams on, my lights are super bright and would be nice if it could stay this way.
I'm pretty sure it's both if you pull it back. If you push it forward it only does high beams. Either way, the fogs turn off.

That's not totally correct..... When you pull the lever back both filaments do light up. The downside of that is that the heat generated is more than the bulb is designed to withstand for a sustained period of time. That feature is called "flash to pass" and is designed to be used for just for the short period it takes to let somone know you are getting ready to pass them. In normal operation, as in pushing the stick forward, the low beam filament shuts off and the high beam filament turns on. At the same time the foglights do shut off. You can wire the foglights to stay on regardless of the posistion of the lever if you want to do that as well. While it doesn't make a HUGE difference, it does make one. It keeps some light where the low beams would have been instead of losing all of the light there.

If it's daytime and you do not have your headlights on, and you pull the lever back, only thr HIGH beam portion of the filament will light. This is "flasg to pass"

If your headlights are on, the low beam filament will stay on as well as the high beam filament. This is the only time both are burning.

If you push the stalk forward, the low beam and the fog lights **** off and the high beam filament only will burn.

I found that the lights on my 03 GT were rather crap both low beam and high beam.
So I changed mine for some HID type replacements sylvania silverstar bulbs not cheap @ $50 but HUGE improvement over the stock.
Now I just need to replace the fogs.

Yea, our lights definately suck the big one. My normal lights are brighter than the high beams...GAY Im going to get some silverstars if I can get the fogs to match that wont blow out in like 2 weeks. Anyone know if they fixed this problem yet? HID lights would be great, but im not shellin out 300 bucks for headlights...thats almost cams.