'99-'04 V6 Master Cylinder- Same As '93 Cobra?

NIKwoaC

中國製造
15 Year Member
Oct 31, 2006
Chengdu Province
I was at the junk yard today and I grabbed a master cylinder off an ABS-equipped 2000 V6 Mustang (vaccum assist, NOT Hydroboost). According to this post by @Mustang5L5 the port sizes and bore diameter are the same as the '93 Cobra MC (M10x1/M12x1 and 1.000" bore). Can anybody confirm that this master cylinder is functionally the same as the '93 Cobra MC? It appears to have the same conventional layout- plastic reservoir, low fluid sensor, 2-port and a horizontal attachment bolt pattern for mounting on the booster.

If that's the case, these master cylinders are a great budget alternative to the Cobra, as 99+ Mustangs are starting to litter the junk yards...

• Sponsors (?)

I pulled ally braking stuff off a 99-04 car. I was able to use the booster, but the master cylinder used a different thread pitch then the fox. I think one was metric and the other was standard.

Joe

So there is an ABS and non-ABS version of the V6 MC.

Issue is the secondary port size thread pitch is incorrect on the non-ABS version. If you can cut and flare brake tube and run new lines, shouldn't be an issue provided you took the two brake line nuts screwed into the MC as well.

If you are looking for a more direct swap using the original brake lines, a 93 Cobra MC (or V6 w/ABS) and 3-2 kit is the way to go...but yes, it's more expensive.

There's also another difference. The low fluid plug is different. I would cut the plug off the V6 car and solder it to the fox lead to make it work and get by that issue. I do not know if the resevioir can be swapped

Mustang Brake Master Cylinder w/Traction Control (99-04 V6) - Free Shipping

This chart shows the actual difference and states that there are two MC's for the V6 with or without ABS. The WITH ABS one seems ot have a virtually identical MC bore.

http://1985mustanggt.com/Reference/2009-09-19_Mustang_MC_Info.pdf

The bore sizes are virtually the same. I've seen the V6 listed as 1.003" but that's negligible.

Last edited:
Maximum Motorsports sells a hard line kit that adapts the '93 Cobra booster to the '86 proportioning valve. Link here. Since the port threads on this MC are the same as the '93 Cobra MC, this should be an easy drop in install for me.

The car currently has a cast iron MC from an '85 Town Car, which also has a 1" bore, so functionally the swap will have no effect on braking performance for my car. The only reason I'm doing it is because it's a cleaner looking MC and should shed a few pounds over the cast iron unit.

As for the low fluid sensor- is it a simple open/closed switch? It would be neat to integrate a low fluid warning light into my car (which otherwise doesn't have one). I cut the pigtail off the car I took this MC from, so I already have the mating plug.

You can get aftermarket 93 cobra master cylinders new for $50-$100.
Many of which are just the centric brand.
Rock auto I think has it for like $56.