99 4valve engine questions!

kirkyg

Founding Member
Jun 14, 2002
Beaumont, TX
I may have the opportunity to buy a 99 model 4valve cobra engine cheap. From what i've found out so far it was a well kept 99 cobra take out from a car that was wrecked from the rear end. No damage to the engine. They selling the engine with all accessories and even flywheel and clutch assembly!

Here is my concern:

How can i find out if its had the exhaust and intake manifolds 'fix'd or rather replaced with the higher flowing ones. I'm afraid i get this engine I may get stuck with nuetered 99 4 valve which would really suck. I may just swap this engine and run it for a while if i can get it really cheap.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to ask etc.? Thanks in advance.

kirkyg

• Sponsors (?)

I shouldn't need the wiring harness or the computer should i? I can get it tuned and im still undecided on whether i will run the motot before or after rebuilding.

I might get one of those custom tuners that you use a laptop and can tune yourself that way i can retune when i get my kenne bell on and all.

The gauge cluster was pulled from the car already and sold. The wiring harness looks like its on the motor on the picture. Here is what i know is included for sure:

Engine, Flywheel, Clutch assembly, Water Pump, starter, all sensors and everything in between (intake to oil pan). Oh yea, and he said the alternator had been sold already too but he can probably find one if the buyer needs one.

Also, i was wondering could i buy this engine and then purchase some 03 cobra used heads off of karkraft for like 600 or so that they are advertised and bolt these on the 99 engine? That would be supercharger ready would it not? Or would the lower intake from the original 99 4valve not bolt on to the 03 cobra heads?

kirkyg

Ok i'm going to try to answer all the questions.

I swapped the 99 4v motor in my 96 gt and that swap will be a little different in your 99+.

You can use your old computer just get a tune. The car will start and run without the tune, i know this for a fact because i still haven't tuned mine. The car being without the tune is still very fast.

THe thing you are talking about to tune your car with the labtop is called a Tweecer. You can pick up a Tweecer at Tweecer.com.

Take all the senors you can off the 4v motor. You might need to get after market fuel rails for that motor. There is a site cobrapoweredgt.com <something like that> and that site will explain the whole swap. It will explain it step by step.

For your cobra head idea it will be a waste of time. The 03 cobra are fast because of that blower but most importantly is that 8.5.1 compression. The 99 4v compression is 9.8.1. < might be 9.6.1 damn it can't remember> The 03 heads i heard flow better but not that much better. It would be a waste of time to get them IMO.

I hope that helps.

the 99-01 compression is 9.85:1 i checked on that...the reason i mentioned the 03 cobra heads is because i can get them fairly cheap and i plan to supercharger my engine so i will need ATLEAST 8.4:1 maybe lower compression. I want to max out a 2.2L KB when for my end result. Were looking at 26 psi boost and there is no way 9.anything would handle that high of boost with pump gas.

I would run the stock higher compression heads if i swapped the motor in but i would buy the 03 cobra heads if it was a cheap way to get a ready built 4v for a blower and knock the boost up to 20 plus without any head work etc.

If i get the wiring harness it should come with all the sensors isn't that right? And i thought all that was interchangeable between the two engines??? Also, i need to know about fuel rails? I dont remember hearing anything about this for the swap. If i did have to get them what kinda $ are we talking about? Thanks for the help.

btw, have you gotten to run your car at the track and get some times or dynos?

kirkyg

With the fail rails i had to do it to my car. My 96 comes with a return style fuel system where your 99 doesn't. As for the 4v being interchangeable its not true because the 03s have a didn't intake system for the blower.

You know what bro if you can get this motor for cheap pick it up. Put all the bolt ons you can think of with a KB and see it fly. When the thing blows then start posting what you want to do to it after.

I have 1000 miles on my motor now and i'm already thinking about gettin a 5.0 stroker for it over the winter. I told my friend this and he almost slapped the hell out of me. What i'm trying to say is just enjoy the 4v till you blow it. If i put the KB on my car i would be in the 11s with my car with just the blower on it.

I shouldn't need the computer, nor should i need new fuel rails because i already have returnless FS.

I was going to ask about injectors though i know the stock cobras come with 24 lbs injectors if i recall correctly and the stock 99+ GT has 19 pound injectors. I assume that you can get by with 19 pound as long as you dont do anything drastic to the motor? I want to get it running and get a KB kit later for it.

Also, if i find a SVT cobra 99-03 gauge cluster later on it should just snap right into the wiring correct? is the guage wiring interchangeable for the SOHC and DOHC engines?

Lastly, flywheel and clutch. If the one that i get from them isn't aftermarket i will probably want to reuse the stock one i have but that wont be possible will it? The main is 6-bolt on an 02 GT but for the cobra engines it is 8 bolt correct? Which means you have to have a cobra flywheel clutch to work...the t3650 should bolt right up though correct?

Sorry im just trying to look at it from all angles.

kirkyg

TTT

I know some people on here can help me with my questions:

I remember there being a page you could type in a VIN # and find out if the 99 models had a fix. Where is this? And all i have to have is the vehicle's VIN?

kirkyg

i dont think i can get the computer...and if i get the computer will the stock GT gauges work with it? I know i will need to get it tuned BUT i can always get a tweecer to do that. I also have heard that the engine will run 'ok' without a tune its just not going to run perfectly until its tuned.

kirkyg

Ok i'm off of work.

My 99 4v is running on 19 pound injectors and i'm using my stock 96 computer WITH OUT A TUNE. If you don't believe me call me and i'll turn the car on, i'll even drive with the speaker phone on so you can hear me floor it. :D

If you can get that motor for 1800 dollars jump on it. Even if it didn't have that recall, which i'm sure it did we can fix it easy.

As for the fly wheel you can't use your GT fly wheel. I had a new one on my 2v and i had to junk it.

As for the gauge cluster you it should bolt up. Your fine with your stock one though. NOTE: you stock cluster is hooked up to the P.A.T.s so if you change it you might not be able to start your car. So keep the old one unless your gettin the 99 computer.

As for your trans it should bolt up easy. My t-45 bolted up easy to the 99 4v.

If you do this swap i'll just give you my cell and i'll be your trouble shooting.

Your awesome dude...but the problem is he wants $2300 :(. And he also has no way to prove its a low mileage motor other than the fact he said he pulled the valve covers and looked to make sure it was low mileage when he got the motor. The computer and the gauge cluster was already sold. It comes with harness and also an extra lower/upper intake manifold thats partially ported. It also has the green dot so it has been 'fix'd but i still was hoping to pick it up about 1500-1800.

I can get a 1000 mile pull out from karkraft mach 1 motor ready to go for $2699.00. $2300 just doesn't seem to be a very good price considering this engine could really be alot higher miles than im expecting.

kirkyg

How can you be sure you won't have a pre-fix 4V? Simple:

Put some longtubes and a nice ported intake on before you drop it in. :nice:

Doing a swap, it would be a REALLY good time to put longtubes on.

I agree with you about the longtubes and the intake...i would have done just that but i know that the engine is fixed. Its just a little too high. He didn't act too enthused about taking less than 2300 for the engine. But to be honest i dont know if anyone is going to pay $2300 for an engine they can't even verify how many miles it has on it. I may call him back in a week and see if its sold. If not ill offer him 1800 and see if he'll take it.

kirkyg

I'm still thinking that eventually if i can get a 4valve engine to start with. Wouldn't it be very nice price to buy 03 cobra heads (karkraft) for say 600-800 range. All i would need is to locate an 03 cobra lower intake (which could be hairy). Everything else would be fine right? I could actually use the 03 Kenne Bell kits then also which would save me thousands in the end. Is there any other issues im missing with that setup? Oh yea, id have to get the parts for the 03 intercooler too :(.

kirkyg