99 Cobra half shaft broken??

Jacob_Royer

Nov 24, 2007
Lately I've heard a pop every once in awhile comming from the back when I'd back up in a parking lot
Also it felt like I had a lot more slop then I should in drivetrain. Other night I took off and when
I went to 2nd gear I heard a pop and got a nasty vibration and after awhile it quit pulling and reved up
. I coaster into a parking lot and tried to take off again and it just sat there for a few secs popped
And started pulling again. I took called a tow truck and had it towed home.driveshaft is still there
And I couldn't see anything hanging out from under it. Also no gear oil leaking. Have not been able to
Get it jacked up yet as its snowing and my garage has my other car tore down in it. Could this be a half shaft?
Or is it more likely to be a read-end problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Well i go pickup my new axle from ford... get home open the box.. guess what? i got a axle for a godamn GT wtf? are they retarded they asked for my vin # and everything! are these stupid things even available? will a mark viii or Tbird axle work? where can i even get one ? all i can find is a questionable looking USED axle for 400$ on ebay WTF? if I cant get parts for this thing i'm buying a used axle and selling it. What the hell ? why did i even buy a stupid 99?

I seen where you could get the 99s from like pepboys and rock auto can have the rebuilt for you, I was looking a few months ago for one for mine due to the boot being torn. But my car has been changed out for a 03 cobra IRS that has 31 spline axles I can tell you they are discontinued from Ford and they are not available at all but you can still fine the 99s. DSS sell the ones I need starting price is $1000 and goes up from there it is pretty sick. On a + I love the way the car rides and handles compared to a solid rear.

My Ford dealership found me a dorman (rebuilt Ford unit) for 160$ last one available!
Aprently Raxles.com can build new ones with t-bird joints for 250$ if anyone needs one.
Going to get my old one rebuilt so I have spare .