99 Cobra owners - any typical problems?

Family5.0

Jun 4, 2003
SW FL
Edmunds.com has a list of recalls and TSBs so I checked the 1999 Cobra list. Seems like a lot of issues w/the tranny (T-45), clutch groaning/moaning noise when shifting, leaking coolant around the intake/heads, and driveline vibrations.

I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced any of these. It's somewhat expected that a tranny will wear out but the head/intake leakage concerns me. What about the vibrations, which seem to occur at higher speeds? Is this solved w/an alum driveshaft or is something else required?

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

The 99's were a can full of worms when they first showed up...especially the lower production numbers. If you're picking one up. Make sure all the recalls have been addressed, especially the intake and exhaust issue. Ford got caught trying to sneak a few goofs past us and it cost them dearly. Personally, I love my car....now. 100k and a rebuild just finished. I didnt need to rebuild it, just wanted to try a few things different. I did all the recalls except the one for the "big gulp" cup holder changeout. That was the one where the cupholder was too big to hold anything except a 7-11 giant cup and if you stuck the thing in there, you'd hit it with your shifter and dump it. It was such a stupid numbskull design flaw, I just had to preserve it to keep my sense of humor for the (no kidding here) 5-1/2 months total that I didnt have my car the first year..If the recalls have been done, you have a good car.

Speaking of the coolant leak around the intake... can someone expond on that for me. I may be a victim of this problem. I smell coolant all the time around my car. I've looked breifly around the engine and can't find anything. There's no puddles or anything. Help me out! What are the dangers here?