99 Cobra performance fix not completed, any advice?

cradicg

Oct 9, 2005
Pennsylvania
I spoke with SVT the other day and found out the “performance fix” was never completed on this vehicle. As the “recall” was not safety related, and the vehicle is out of warranty, the fix is no longer free. Bummer!

I have spoken with several different shops and got a range of information and opinions. Hopefully you guys can help me sort through the Bull**** and get on the right path. My future plans are geared toward auto crossing and road racing, so insane power and ¼ mile times are not that important (I just want the power I am suppose to have and just slapping a supercharger on is not what I want to do). I have a dyno appointment on the 23rd to see where I stand.

SVT told me that not all 1999 Cobras suffered from the performance loss and to dyno the vehicle (planned on it anyway). I can of course purchase the “fix kit”, which is big bucks. Having the intake ported/polished, flashing the PCM and aftermarket Cat-backs would yield the same results for less $$$.

CJ Pony Parts (my local shop) stated the intake was not the biggest performance killer (only about 5-10% loss, which is still a good bit off of 320) and that the exhaust was the main issue. The intake could be hand ported/polished if desired. Of course the PCM would also need reflashed.

MRT says that the lower intake was the culprit, that the rear two intake ports where badly misaligned and that port/polish would not work effectively, only extrude honing would address the problem with any noticeable results. Magnaflow Cat-backs and SCT tuning would go along way.

So who is correct or does the truth lie somewhere in the middle? I am calling on the knowledge of SVT owners out there for advice and recommendations on the intake. Specific brands and rwhp gains would be most helpful on PCM and exhaust issues.

My local Ford dealership sells the upper and lower intakes (without fuel rails/injectors) for 700.00 a piece. 1400.00 for a new and corrected intake is a bit steep. I am weary of buying one used since I have had some bad used part experiences in the past.

Sorry if this was a bit long winded, but I wanted to lay everything out. Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can provide

• Sponsors (?)

The replacement mufflers will help some. I believe that most of the problem was/is the intake. I'd have an extrude hone done on your intake if you can stand to be out of the car for a few days. Put on an X pipe and catback. Get an X-calibrator and put in some timing and pull some fuel at WOT.

correct

MRT is correct. The exhaust is a HUGE part of the missing horsepower. The intake is also part of the problem, but I remember reading an article from 99 or so that said a maglaflow catback added like 30hp or some crap to a bone stock 99 Cobra. I'd say get a good catback (Magnaflow kicks ass :D ) a cold air intake, and a handheld tuner like an Xcal2 or Predator or something and you should get yourself about 75% of your missing power. That is unless money is not an object then get that intake ported and polished too.

Thanks SVTPower & Midlife

svtpower said:
MRT is correct. The exhaust is a HUGE part of the missing horsepower. The intake is also part of the problem, but I remember reading an article from 99 or so that said a maglaflow catback added like 30hp or some crap to a bone stock 99 Cobra. I'd say get a good catback (Magnaflow kicks ass :D ) a cold air intake, and a handheld tuner like an Xcal2 or Predator or something and you should get yourself about 75% of your missing power. That is unless money is not an object then get that intake ported and polished too.

Thanks guys. I will look into the handheld tuner and exhaust. SVTPower, you said that MRT was correct, did you mean about them saying the intake is only worth doing by extrude hone? I found one place near me that can port and polish the intake (and they have a flow bench), but I don't want to spend the money if the difference is minimal. Most machine shops said they would not bother since the runners where so long and they could not get very deep into it. I can't find anyone that does extrude honing.