99 gt bucking/surging

aparker813

Aug 30, 2005
doin it mostly around 1200-2000 rpms it seems...its def. the engine doin somethin wierd, it'll do it sometimes when im just cruising at a certain speed and now its doing it under acceleration at some points but not WOT. car is making me very angry, tested all my cops and they all tested fine, checked all my plugs and none look bad at all (only 3000-4000 miles old anyways) just cleaned my airfilter too

its a 99 gt with auto tranny, flowmaster, steeda cai and that is all

anyone got ideas?

edit: also of the COPs looked like this one and smelled of fuel
2083712_68_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

MaxedGT said:
Your problem is in that picture. Moisture has gotten into the plug recesses and has made a pathway for your spark.
any suggestions on what to do now? and anyone got any ideas as to how moisture got to em so bad? it was on all the boots except the passenger side closest to the firewall hardly had any noticable crap on it

i had to pull and test all of em about two months ago cuz my roomate had been helpin me wash my engine and had sprayed em all down but i only found one bad one then and all was well for a good while

How long has it been doing this? When was the first time it did it? Did you do anything right before you started noticing this problem? I would get a can of compressed air, or an air compressor if you have it, and try to blow the crap out of each one on the inside.. and when you press them back on, be sure it is on properly.. if one is hanging off a little, it may not be making full contact with the plug.

sgarlic said:
How long has it been doing this? When was the first time it did it? Did you do anything right before you started noticing this problem? I would get a can of compressed air, or an air compressor if you have it, and try to blow the crap out of each one on the inside.. and when you press them back on, be sure it is on properly.. if one is hanging off a little, it may not be making full contact with the plug.
been doin it about 3 weeks now progressively getting worse...i'm at my parents house for christmas so i can actually use a compressor on em, hopefully that'll work

oh yeah...the first time a while ago it started right after power washing the engine but this time it hadnt even been washed in a few weeks when it started

My 96 Cobra started doing this right after I cleaned my air filter. The filter might have been too wet when I put it in, should I check my COPs and EGR as well or would that lead to a different cause? The bucking hasn't gotten any worse since it started, and it also doesn't do it at WOT. It bucks mainly during normal acceleration and if I try to accelerate at low RPMs in higher gears. Like going from 2000 to 2500 RPMs in 5th.

Malevolyn said:
My 96 Cobra started doing this right after I cleaned my air filter. The filter might have been too wet when I put it in, should I check my COPs and EGR as well or would that lead to a different cause? The bucking hasn't gotten any worse since it started, and it also doesn't do it at WOT. It bucks mainly during normal acceleration and if I try to accelerate at low RPMs in higher gears. Like going from 2000 to 2500 RPMs in 5th.

I'd try cleaning your MAF first if it started after cleaning the filter. There is probably some oil on the wire.