99 GT engine knock???

6T9_CHARGER_RT

Sep 15, 2007
S.I.N.Y.
Possibly looking to buy a '99 GT 'vert with the 35th LE package. 5 -speed

Owner states there is an engine knock "sounds like something is loose in oil pan"

States that it runs & drives as well. I havent seen it yet in person but by his description of the noise does it sound like the motor is toast???

• Sponsors (?)

Listen to the motor when it first starts up. Pay attention to the kind of noises it makes and how long it makes them.

Get yourself a mechanic’s stethoscope. Use it to probe around. Pay special attention to the timing chain adjusters on the front of the motor. Possible that the guides have broken and the pieces have fallen into the oil pan.

Consider having a compression test done.

Consider listening to a good motor before checking out the possible bad one.

Just because the motor may be bad it not necessarily a reason to pass. However, it is something that you need to understand so that you do not over pay for the car (IE lower the price to cover the $$ of a new motor).

Good luck.

Even if the engine is done (and it probably is...) PI 2V motors are as common as dirt and cheap, coming in Mustangs, Explorers, Crown Vics etc.

If you're mechanically inclined you could yank the motor, transfer the ancillaries and put the replacement back in a day or two. Even having it done at a shop wouldn't be that expensive.

I don't know what the guy's asking for it but if the rest of the car is in good shape and you like it tell him to knock,say, $1000 off because of the hurt motor and baby it home :)

Thanks for the advice....I was just curious if an engine knock on the 4.6l is fairly common. I have heard that cold start up piston slap is fairly common but wasnt sure about a rod knock....gonna go look at it today...guy is asking $3400....supposedly 76k orig miles...silver with 2-tone leather LE

The engines are pretty robust, really. Taxis, police and even Federal agencies etc etc all use this engine in their fleets of CVs, not to mention trucks and pickups doing everything from construction to snow-plowing with no major issues that I know of.

But they need the oil level in the sump to be kept at the full-mark especially if sustained higher-RPM operation is planned. Oil starvation can occur if the oil level is low which can lead to a spun bearing.

$3400 ain't bad. See how motivated he is to see how much you leverage the (possibly) hurt engine :)

FWIIW, my experience may provide some help. Purchased a 2000 GT with a blown motor. Paid 1300. Very good interior and exterior. 145K miles.

Sounds like a great deal right? Wait there's more....

Purchased a 35K salvage motor for 800. My Son and I put the motor in ourselves in the driveway.

New ball joints, U-joints, struts, clutch, flywheel, and rear end re-build, I am into the car for 5k which is almost the KBB private party value.

Sweat equitiy earned, near zero. Pride in work, priceless.

Lesson learned, the cost of parts can add up.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying don't do it. But 1k off of the KBB private party value may not be enough to cover the cost of a motor plus the labor to install.

I had a blast doing the work myself. Learned alot from the experience. However, recommend that you do the homework to increase the possibility of a positive experience.

Went to go look at the car....total ****zz box!

Busted drivers side quarter window, cracked up top, faded paint, interior jacked up dud to broken window & water damage....that was the good stuff....

The bad is that the motor is toast...definitely a rod bearing (moments away from throwing a rod thru the block...

Oh well the search continues

To the original op. Honestly, if you have huge plans like building the engine up and supercharging I'd say buy the one with the bad engine that way you save money on the rebuild by getting the car cheaper. If you had no plans for that then I'd suggest buying one with a good engine 1k off the price isnt enough for a bad engine. Then again you could get lucky and it could be something really simple or something really bad. Its a risk. Again, it all depends on future plans. Id try to talk him down to 2.5k-3k for it and if he doesnt budge then its up to you to decide if its worth it.