'99 model rear in a fox.....what do I need to know?

Phatt_daddy

Apr 22, 2005
Hytop, AL
I just purchased a '99 model disc brake rear end at a great deal. What do I need to know about putting it into my '87 fox? I have heard hat it is too wide and if that is true any one want to trade for a '94-'95 or a rear with the ranger axles or just a stang 5- lug rear that will work for my app.

Thanks,
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

The 99 is wider-by about 1 3/4 inches. You could overcome this by using rear wheels with more backspace, if there is a clearance problem, though.

Converting from drum to disc may require using a compatible mastercylinder and proportioning valve as well.

Shorter non ABS axles may be a possibility? I am just thinking out loud.

I have a 95 rear in mine but I am not sure how much wider the 99 rear is. I just needed to use appropriately dimensioned wheels.

The 94-98 have axles that are 3/4" longer so you end up with 1 1/2 wider set up and it fills the wheel wells nicely. the 99-04s are almost another 3/4" to each shaft, so you would be looking at something about 3" wider than stock!

vristang said:
Shorter non ABS axles may be a possibility? I am just thinking out loud.

I have a 95 rear in mine but I am not sure how much wider the 99 rear is. I just needed to use appropriately dimensioned wheels.

The 94-98 rear end housing is EXACTLY the same as the Fox Housing, the extra width comes from the axles and brakes. The 99-04 Housings are wider, fitting shorter axles in would require cutting the ends off the axle tubes. BTW 94-98 axles with ABS are the same length as non ABS Axles.