A-1 Electric (power window regulators)

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
Austin TX
Anyone have any dealings with this firm? I'm finally getting around to installing mine, also bought the "Hotronics" switches, and they slipped right in without issue. I connected a temporary 12V power source to test the operation, alas...they go down "too far" and they don't go up all the way. I do not see any adjustments I can make to them, then I started wondering if I have them in the wrong doors, they are marked left and right instead of driver and passenger (grrrr). But in all these years I've understood that left=driver, but you never know if someone out there thinks otherwise.

I sent them an email asking if left=driver or not and they wont answer me since I am not a registered customer in their database...the fuggers! I just wanted to warn the community about this company's business practise, so you don't buy their product from any other vendors...they wont even answer such a simple question if you don't buy from them ( I bought mine from Summit). Here's their reply...
from A-1 Electric's useless support line
I'm sorry, I could not find your name, as shown in your message, in our customer list. If you could supply us with an invoice number or other information so we can look up your invoice, we would be glad to assist you.

What kind of crap reply is that anyway? If they are "happy to help" why not say yes or no to the question of left=driver or not? Sorry about the public venting, but yes, I DO feel better :D

• Sponsors (?)

An update...the units are from "Electric Life" not A-1...so I guess they get a bit of a break since they are only resellers of another company's products...I still think they suck and will not buy anything from them...but my original message was mistaken in that detail and I wanted to correct the record.

Good link there, thanks! It is pretty much what I did...exactly in fact...drill out that large rivet and bolt the switches on, pretty easy affair. I'm not sure why he opened up the switch, it is not necessary, guess he was curious.

NOTES:

I contacted "Electric Life" and they are VERY nice and helpful, left does indeed mean driver's side, and each unit is clearly marked as well as colored differently.

You'll also have to do some splicing, the Hotronics switch has four connectors and the regulator kits only have two leads.

When you wire up the switch there's no indication which side of the switch is + and which is -, not that it really matters, but I wanted to rotate the crank up to make the windows go up and down to make them go down. Turns out all you have to do it decide which direction you want the original crank handle to point...towards the engine or towards the trunk...you can always reverse them if the up/down is wrong.

It seems odd that on one side the little motor points upwards, and on the other side it points down, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I was reading some more and I might not have a sufficient power source, I was using a 12amp battery charger, the instructions say to use a 20amp circuit.