A better rear main seal?

DrScientist

Apr 19, 2011
I am wondering if there is a better rear main seal for my 94GT than just the ford house special, or the autozone special. The reason I'm wondering is because I perceive there to be some sort of factory defect going on when it comes to the rear main seal in these cars. I have had two 94 GT's. Both their rear mains leaked. A buddy had a 95GT. His rear main leaked until he finally changed it out. Another friend of mine had a 94GT. His rear main seal leaked as well. So... is there some kind of seal that is made out of better stuff than the apparent junk that Ford specified?

You know, maybe like an "aftermarket" seal made by someone like fel pro or something. Is there any way to get an improved seal?

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of leaks that are thought to be the rear main are quite often a leak between the lower intake and the block at the back of the engine. Check that area carefully. You may need a mirror to see if it is dry or not.

There are better rear main seals available through Summit. They are like $40 though. I've never had a problem with the standard one though. You need to take light sand paper to the crankshaft when you change it. There is a break in process between the rubber and the metal. Therefore, you need to rough up the surface on the metal to get it to break in with a new seal.

Also, don't forget to use thread sealant on the flywheel bolts. those bolt holes in the crankshaft go through to the other side, so oil can leak through there.

Kurt

Yeah, it's funny, out of every 5.0 we have/had, the 94 is the only one that leaks at the rear main.
Usually, when it comes to 5.0 engines, they leak at the rear of the valve covers, and it runs down the back of the engine. However, the 94 really is a rear main leak.

Additionally, the PCV's on these cars can easily get overwhelmed and the RMS often leaks as a result.

Mine seemed to be ok. I got a new PCV valve and screen from autozone. It was special order though.

A lot of leaks that are thought to be the rear main are quite often a leak between the lower intake and the block at the back of the engine. Check that area carefully. You may need a mirror to see if it is dry or not.

Ok so I will check the back of the valve covers, and the back of the intake. You know what I need to do, is get some of that diechem and add it to the oil. Then get a blacklight at night and find out exactly where the leak is. I'm still guessing its the rear main though.

Anyone know why the rear main seal from summit is better? Is it made out of better material or something? Perhaps its thicker.