A/c Clutch Stays Engaged All The Time

Ok, so today i installed a new a/c clutch on my wifes 99, V6. The old one made an aweful sound which led me to believe the coil was shot. after getting the new one installed, i put the connector back on the coil and it immediately pulled in the clutch....this didnt happen before with the other clutch (although it's been awhile since first discoverd the problem (when the weather was cool) and we didnt need the a/c.) i also noticed the low pressure switch was unhooked. after hooking that up and checking everything over the clutch stays engaged all the time still. the high pressure line gets extremely hot right out of the condenser, and the line going into the condenser will frost (this is all with the a/c switch on the dash off). i've read all the post on the forum about a/c probs, and it seems all lead to a bac CCRM? i just dont understand how it worked before and not now. Can anyone shed some light on this issue??

• Sponsors (?)

There are several things that I can think of that could cause this symptom. First, if someone used the wrong CCRM for the application. Do you know if the CCRM has been changed?

Has the low pressure switch been returned to factory state? This switch serves an important function and should not be bypassed for extended periods of time.

The V6 has a very different AC control system than the GT/Cobra. Some parts are much simpler.

The other possible cause are welded contacts inside the CCRM. Try removing fuse F2.2 in the CJB. Does this cause the clutch to drop? If so, the CCRM is basically working. Note, disconnecting F2.2 may cause other DTC codes to be thrown. That's OK, it's just for testing.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

If the CCRM hasn't been changed or confirmed working, then it would be handy to know if CCRM pin #22 (PK/YE) is grounded. If grounded, this would cause the CCRM to power up the AC clutch all of the time.

You may find this problem much easier to solve if you have a full set of wiring diagrams. If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

Ok, so i removed the F2.2 fuse and the clutch did not engage. i tested pin #22 and it was not grounded. i bought this car from my neighbors son and while i was working on it today he came over and once i explained the issue he told me that his son had the car at a ford dealer and they indicated the "thing" under the passengers fender was what was causing the a/c to not work. Well...this would have been handy news to have about 4 days ago. so it looks like i will need to get a new ccrm. the ford dealership wants $242 for a new one. (OUCH!). does anyone know where to get one cheaper other than a junkyard?

I was also thinking along the same lines as you, so i called Oreilly and turns out the one in my area actually takes the CCRM from my car, ships it off to be rebuilt and ships it back in 10-12 days. (they have no access to any right now). i have also contacted some salvage yards and there's always e-bay.

Ok, so no luck at any salvage yards. As it turns out most of them didn't know what a CCRM was or where it was located. I took a pic of mine and the number is not a Ford OEM number. So I have one call out to a guy in Danville that is parting out a 99'. If that fall thru I guess I will have to go thru the Ford dealer.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21_17-23-13_343.jpg
    2012-06-21_17-23-13_343.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 298
Update...well i was prepared to bite the bullitt and buy a new CCRM from my local ford dealer. Called...they had one in stock, $262.00....drove over there....they didn't have it, another dealer had it 10 miles away. Drive to other dealer...wait 40 mins in line...get to counter, they don't have it! this is a saturday and i've wasted enough time. the guy tells me he can order it...i said "do it", he says..."can't order it today, gonna be monday till i can do that...takes 3-4 days to get it". Fine....but he gave me the part number so i could call it in monday. So, defeated i go home, get on the internet and type in the new number i got from the dealer. BINGO, a place called DriverSide Inc. has several of them...$150.00. Ordered immediately, arrived the following Tuesday. Installed and the A/C works like a charm.