A/C help needed!

DougNuts

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2000
Georgetown Ky
Guys, this valve went out on my A/C system. Does anyone know if I can replace just the valve or will I need to replace the whole line?

I want to try and do this myself, but I don't know much about A/C systems.

attachment.php

Attachments

• AC valve.JPG
    AC valve.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 80
  • Sponsors (?)

it should come right out, go up to oreillys and get a schrader valve tool and a shrader valve. although you will need to put a good vacume on it before you charge it.

haulbalz said:
it should come right out, go up to oreillys and get a schrader valve tool and a shrader valve. although you will need to put a good vacume on it before you charge it.

So, you're saying I can fix the valve itself?

If I need to vacuum it first, maybe I need to take it to a shop. :notnice:

DougNuts said:
So, you're saying I can fix the valve itself?

If I need to vacuum it first, maybe I need to take it to a shop. :notnice:

That is not a schrader valve. it's is a special valve for the a/c system. I don't know the technical name. The valve can be replaced w/o replacing the whole line. My guess is that the valve is welded on, so you will have to grind it off carefully, clean up the surface, install the new one, and re-weld it.

Of course, you will need to evacuate the system. If you want, you can take it to a shop. If you accidently bleed the system, it will evacuate itself with time.

Also, the line is aluminium. You can't use a regular mig welder to weld it. You need the right wire and a pure argon gas.

I may be wrong, and the valve screws into a bung on the line and you can just unscrew it, and replace it. But I don't know. You will have to look and find out for yourself. I wouldn't have a clue where to get a new valve, but an a/c shop is the best place to start.

Once you fix it, you will need to refill the system. It's r-134a, and should take less then 3 cans. Autozone sells the kit to fill it to the proper level. That valve is on the low pressure side, and that is the one you use to fill the system with. Make sure you know how much to fill it will. Over/under filling is will make the system inefficient.
Scott