A/C Problem

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
My a/c seemed to be working fine up to a few days ago. Then I went out one day, on a hot day, and it seemed like all of a sudden it doesnt work now. If its particularly warm out it doesnt work at all. In cooler temperatures it seems to blow cold air for a bit then blow warmer (outside temp) air. Then it cycles back and forth between cool and warm as long as the a/c is on. I wanted to see if any of you guys had any ideas before I take it to an a/c shop tommorow. I thought I remember reading something a while back about some drain that can get clogged up and cause it not to work right. I do smell a moldly smell occasionally, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. If anyone has any suggestions please post! Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First test. Start the car, put the switch to max a/c, and see if the a/c clutch is engaging. If it isn't spinning, then the a/c is either low on refridgerant, pressure switch is bad, etc.

If the clutch engages sporadically, then you are low on r-134a, and you need to add some to get to full pressure.

Post back and let us know what is happening. If it isn't spinning, you need to see if there is r-134a still in the system. Go to autozone, and get the $18 r-134a hose with a pressure gauge. One side of the hose will connect to a r-134a can, and the other will fit on the valve on the a/c line.

BTW, when you hook up the gauge, leave the car off, attach the gauge to the LOW pressure side of the system (driver's side). You will need to loosen the Strut tower brace to get it on the valve.

After you attach the gauge to the a/c line, start the car, and turn the a/c on MAX. If you are full on freon, they you should be in the blue area (35-40psi I think). If you are low on pressure, you are low on r-134a and you need to add some. Buy some cans (3 if you are completely empty) and refill the system. It should work now.

BTW, if you haven't done a/c work before, have someone help you that knows what they are doing.
Scott

Thx, but how do I tell if the clutch is engaging? The only thing I see on the outside of the compressor is the pulley that powers it. I think thats the one with the three bolts in the shape of a triangle, right?

And if I have to add refrigirant, dont I need to add some oil to the system, too?

Oh, and one more thing. If its leaking out now, what can I do to find out where the leak is? I don't want to have to keep checking it every few weeks.

Well I went to the a/c shop yesterday. It turns out I do have a refrigirant leak. Its leaking from a fitting near the valve on the low pressure side. Theres a lot of oil coming out so its pretty easy to tell. I think its actually been leaking for a while, but the a/c still worked so I assumed nothing was wrong. I think the leak must have gotten suddenly worse because there was a lot more oil on the a/c line than there was previously.

Chronos[AsG] said:
Well I went to the a/c shop yesterday. It turns out I do have a refrigirant leak. Its leaking from a fitting near the valve on the low pressure side. Theres a lot of oil coming out so its pretty easy to tell. I think its actually been leaking for a while, but the a/c still worked so I assumed nothing was wrong. I think the leak must have gotten suddenly worse because there was a lot more oil on the a/c line than there was previously.

I had the same problem, except from both the low and high pressure side service ports. I ordered them from the dealer, now I am waiting for the High side valve.