A/C Trouble

AP1995V6

Jul 13, 2003
Oxford, MS
I charged my A/C this morning. When I turned the car off, every bit of refridgerant in the system sprayed out the low side fitting.

Is it possible to change this fitting?

Or is this an indication of a problem with the a/c system?

• Sponsors (?)

Figured I'd bump this up. Every time I go to a parts store and ask for a low side service port removal tool, I get a deer lost in headlights look. I got the valve replacement kit from AutoZone, but it only comes with 2 valves and 2 caps.

2677969509_46cee94d1c.jpg

Wil just used this kit to swap out his valves. He got it from AutoZone.

Looks like vice grips or some good pliers will yank it out.

I'll probably get on mine week after next.

Wes

Damn Wes..that looks familiar.....I just changed the high side in front of the MAF/CAI.........didn't touch the low side on driver's side......and yes...all I did was use a pair of channel looks and turn CCW...broke loose with one good turn and unscrewed....used the part you pictured and been fine since......I would suggest once breaking it loose with the black cap off waiting for the air to dissipate:rolleyes:

Will

since were talking about a/c...here my problem...both my high side and low side leak from the valve when the caps off...we have a ac machine at work(I work at a collision shop) so my friend proceeded to hook it up to the machine and turns out my system would only take a half lbs of pressure thats it...its like theres a block in the system? Also it seems as if my a/c compressor is not switching on...do I need a "switch" I forgot the actual name of it but its like a $20 part for te ac system ? Black on Black with no a/c really sucks

since were talking about a/c...here my problem...both my high side and low side leak from the valve when the caps off...we have a ac machine at work(I work at a collision shop) so my friend proceeded to hook it up to the machine and turns out my system would only take a half lbs of pressure thats it...its like theres a block in the system? Also it seems as if my a/c compressor is not switching on...do I need a "switch" I forgot the actual name of it but its like a $20 part for te ac system ? Black on Black with no a/c really sucks

LPCS. Low pressure cycle switch. If you have enough mass in the system but the switch won't close, then that's a place to look. You can also have the switch close but the WOT relay can open the circuit. Or the clutch's air-gap can be too great (unlikely).

WHen your friend charged the system, did he note any irregularities with the low vs high side pressures for the ambient temps? A restriction will often cause a mismatch in pressures.

If the ac clutch is not switching on it won't take freon unless you vacuum the system and put liquid in the high side of the system (i.e. vacuum sucks it in). Sounds like your AC cycling switch is gone. Get that and you'd probably be golden. You can remove the switch and put jumper wire between the two prongs (forces the compressor on) and see if she gets cold and will accept more freon.

Hissin-

Im not really sure what my buddy did..just know he hooked up the machine..came back later asked me the year of the car to find out how much fills it. We got one of those machines that you hook it up and i think it does most of work minus typing in some crap. I didnt really get to watch as I had cars to primer up and we were kinda in a hurry to try it out as the detail crew had cars to park in the shop and I was in the way.

Hey I know this is dumb but what does the switch look like and where abouts is it...got any pic so my dumb self can find it....got get this a/c fixed

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Hey I know this is dumb but what does the switch look like and where abouts is it...got any pic so my dumb self can find it....got get this a/c fixed
I remembered a recent thread............
Check out the pic in the first post in this thread. That's what your LPCS looks like and it's in almost the same exact spot on your 94-95. It's easy to spot because the wiring connector on top often looks kinda gooey.

Turn the AC on and check for 12 volts into the switch. If you have it, check for 12 volts out. If you have that, check the schematics Wes put in his Wiki link (located in his post above) or post up if there's confusion (you'd be testing the WOT relay in/out voltages at the next step).

Good luck.

I remembered a recent thread............
Check out the pic in the first post in this thread. That's what your LPCS looks like and it's in almost the same exact spot on your 94-95. It's easy to spot because the wiring connector on top often looks kinda gooey.

Turn the AC on and check for 12 volts into the switch. If you have it, check for 12 volts out. If you have that, check the schematics Wes put in his Wiki link (located in his post above) or post up if there's confusion (you'd be testing the WOT relay in/out voltages at the next step).

Good luck.

See how the guy is jumpering the switch. Do that and if your system kicks on replace the switch. Fortunately its the only device in the system that you can replace without having to open the AC system. Just twist it off and twist the new one on.