A/C Unusual problem need help!

Smokeurhonda

May 1, 2003
Maryland
OK so started about a month and a half ago. A/C blows ice cold. It has had the same charge of Ra-134 for one or two previous summers and ran flawlessly. The problem is that it will run fine then all of a sudden the compressor will just click off. It doesn't come on and off like if it were low on Ra-134, it just shuts off. If i turn the a/c knob off and continue to drive for about 10 minutes and turn the a/c back on the compressor will usually click back on and i will have a/c. But then i'll get anywhere from 5-25 minutes of cold a/c then the compressor will click off again. I notice it is worse in stop and go traffic, and the a/c will tend to work for longer when driving on the highway. With the car off the compressor turns freely by hand. I mentioned this to a friend and he said something about a evap pressure sensor possible going bad? I'm not quite sure so I need to guidance here.

• Sponsors (?)

Start first by confirming that the low speed and high speed engine cooling fans are working. At the fan, disconnect the fan connnector and run power straight to the fan. The black wire is ground.

Since your post did not mention the model year, I can not give you the high/low speed wire colors. As the fan is test run, there should be an obvious difference in fan speed. There are some recent posts regarding AC problems. Read through them and see if anything applies to your situation.

CLEAN the condensor coil. Just use a garden hose and spary from both sides as best as you can.

Does the inside fan continue to run when the AC compressor shuts off?

Remember, in addition to the low pressure cut off, there is a high pressure cut off. They are two different sensors. In any case, it would be handy to know the high/low AC pressures.

Do you have an ODB2 scanner that can monitor operational data?

dear paul.
dont forget that this year you put a big ass cooler in front of your cooling system. also the blower pisses oil and prolly shorthed the high pressure sensor right below it. also have you checked the charge on your ac? it has been a few years since you repaired it. ps. im out of 134a so your going to have to "buy" your own this time

Sounds like what you need to replace is the A/C Clutch Cycling Switch or Pressure Switch. Cost about $12 at Autozone. It's located in the engine bay, passenger side, up close to the fire wall. This should fix your problem.