A/C valves: removal/replacement?

Blackened302

Jul 21, 2005
South TX
searched to no avail.

how do i go about replacing the valves on the high and low sides? shop told me they were leaky and needed replacement. ordered the kit from advance last night--on my way to get them right now. is it just a simple pop-off or unscrew? i'm not worried about pressure--all the coolant leaked out, so i'm also gonna pick up a few cans of the recharge. any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: nm, valves screw off--replaced w/ new valves, filled it w/ r134a and air's cold now =)

on a related note, though: is the compressor supposed to spin the entire time the a/c is on blowing cold air, or does it spin for a while, stop, then spin again when to regulate the temperature?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah they screw in.

When I had my A/C worked on because it was totally screwed up they guy at the shop broke one of my valves when he was recharging my system.

Anyways I get home park the car and can hear this hissing sound, pop the hood and over half of my refrigerant leaked out and I had to go back to the shop and the guy tried to say I broke it and wanted me to pay for a new valve and more refrigerant.

As you can imagine I was a happy camper when he tried to pull that BS on me.