A couple noob questions... w/pics!

Gorilla978

Dec 26, 2005
I bought my 2010 Mustang GT back at the end of Aug.

So far I've done the following mods:

SLP LM Catted X-pipe
Magnaflow Catback
Americanmuscle.com 93 Octane custom tune w/ SCT tuner.

I have sitting in my closet FRPP 3.73 gears, and Steeda Sports lowering springs.

Which brings me to my question(s);

1) When I finally get the 3.73 gears installed what is the process for compensating for the change in final drive ratio? I know it used to be done with a speedo gear on the older Mustangs, am I correct in assuming I can use my SCT tuner to do so, is there a setting built into the unit itself or will I need to go back to Americanmuscle and have them send me another tune?

2) I have the SLP LM Catted X-pipe already installed. It sounds pretty decent, but truth be told the three piece design leave alot to be desired as far as fitment goes (IE exhaust leaks), it took forever to get it to line up right and now I can hear a "ticking" noise when I drive by concrete walls, I'm assuming I have an exhaust leak. Also the bungs for the rear left and right O2 sensors were filled with casting flash (or whatever its called ) and made it nearly impossible to get one of the O2 sensors in without cross threading it (I'm afraid to remove the left side incase I did).
So I decided to go with a single piece offroad pipe (X or H) but I need to know whether I'll need an MIL eliminator like on the older modular mustangs or what... I looked at UPR's offroad X-pipe and the price seems reasonable, but I'm quite open to suggestions.

3) I'm going to have the Steeda lowering springs installed next week and I was curious as to how much to expect to pay for a shop to do it? Also will I require and alignment, the drop is slightly more than an inch in front and back.

Ok so here are the pics, hopefully this works!

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Thanks for the help

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

The speed can be calibrated with the handheld. As for the second question, unfortunately, I don't have an answer. As for your third question, Steeda's website claims an install time of 4 hours. Around here, that'd equate to ~$200 labor. That's something you'd have to call your shop of choice for, as everyone takes a different amount of time, and charges different labor costs. :nice:

Nice looking Stang! LOVE those new body styles!

I found the car for $26,995 brand new, it had a manual tranny and it was equipped with a V8 thats really all I cared about.

It's quick but it doesn't seem like the engine was designed around these gears or vice versa, I think 3.73's would be help remedy this issue.

Al J, I was told recently an alignment is not completely necessary for the springs I have but it would help keep the wear of the tires to a minimum. A 2" drop is fairly significant and I think you'd be ill advised to avoid getting the alignment. As far as the caster/camber plates I believe they are not required on these cars (that info I believe was gathered somewhere on these forums).

I talked to a shop today on the phone and they quoted me about $450 for the gear install and about $300 for the springs w/alignment. It was from Brad's Custom Auto - Corvette and Mustang Performance in Seattle, WA I checked out their website and seems reputable so I think I'll give it a whirl unless someone has had issues with them.

Thanks guys,

-Mike

p.s.

My next mods will prob a BBK TB (twin 62mm I think) / UPR offroad X-pipe / Brenspeed 93 octane tune (I'll ditch the americanmuscle.com tune.) Then maybe rims/tires later on this year.

Your factory front damper/dampers will fail with lowering springs installed on them. You should go ahead and replace them with the springs. I learned this the hard way - I put Eibach Pro kit springs on my 2010 GT, and within two weeks the tale-tale knocking sounds started coming from the chassis. I also had way too much camber which is not adjustable without camber plates. I installed the Steeda heavy duty upper strut mounts and added the Eibach Pro dampers/shocks to match the springs on all four corners. The car drives perfect and tight, and the Steeda upper mounts have enough camber adjustment to get closer to stock camber. I just put the camber adjustment all the way out, and it was perfect. My car also has some ticking, which is due to shorty headers installed. I also have a Magnaflow X-pipe and MACS Boom Tubes out back. :nice: