A Drive In The Rain With The Roof Down

Virtual

15 Year Member
Dec 19, 2013
Northern Virginia
Really the whole point of having a convertible is to be able to drive with the roof down. I've been extolling the virtues of how well my mustang has been running, and decided to drive it to work one day since I was going to arrive late and leave early and be able to not deal with rush hour. So on the way to work I put the roof down as usual and was really unhappy whenI arrived at work only to find that I couldn't put it back up. I can hear a click in the back, but nothing moves :( Sure enough, things at work ran long and it was starting to look stormy outside. So as soon as I was able I took off for home, since Johnny weatherman said it was gonna rain hard. I really didn't have a choice since I needed to pick up the kid. Sure enough not far from work it started to rain, and got steadily worse. I'm of course cursing an swearing as myself and leather interior are getting rained on, but to make my day I drove past this car full of college age looking kids who looked over at me, give me a big thumbs up, rolled down their own windows in the rain and start yelling "cool... awesome... radical dude". I think they really thought I was doing it because I could, rather than because at the time I didn't have a choice. Silly me for thinking I could get home before the storms!

Haven't yet had a chance to figure out what's wrong with the roof, but now I've got another priceless memory to associate with the stang. I was pretty unhappy at the time, but these kids chearing me on, and hooting and hollering managed to bring a smile to my face.

• Sponsors (?)

The last time I was in a convertible, we got stuck in interstate traffic right next to a full cattle truck. EWWW! That was too close to the fertilizer! I like being able to close my sun roof, and I am glad you found college kids instead.

What all got wet? I would imagine that most of the rain would hit the windshield and pass over

At speed yes, but he's gotta slow down at some point.

Whenever I'm driving in the rain on the highway I always scare my passengers by opening the sunroof up. At 70MPH+, not a drop comes in. Kinda cool effect at night too.

What all got wet? I would imagine that most of the rain would hit the windshield and pass over

My route home is mostely via the beltway around washington, and by 3:30 its already gettingto be stop and go. So I didnt have the advantage of higher speeds, and pretty much everything got wet. Plus I went through a brief downpour. Under usual circumstances since my mustang is a 5 speed I try to avoid driving it in stop and go traffic, but got caught this time.