A/F ratio gauge

2oo3gt

Aug 22, 2004
Hey,
I just got my autometer phantom series a/f ratio gauge. When i tried to install it, the gauge was giving me wierd readings. Half of the guage lit up at once. Normall, it is stupposed to only light up one bar. I spliced the wire coming directly off of the o2 sensor. It mentioned that if the wire was sheilded then you would have to tap in at the ecu censor.

Where did everyone tap their wire in to get the readings? Is it best to splice in on the wire inside the car, or really close to the o2 sensor. Any pictures would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

The AutoMeter A/F ratio gauge is intended only for narrow-band sensors (0-1.5V output). The AutoMeter A/F ratio gauge is little more than a psychadelic light show, and doesn't represent any realistic a/f ratios because of the way the PCM/EEC controls the fuel trims in closed loop. If you really want to monitor the a/f with gauge, you need to look into a wide band setup.

A wide-band has a 0-5V output range, although many wideband controllers allow you to emulate the narrow-band signal, so you could connect it. Most wide bands are complete kits that include a sensor, a controller to heat and calibrate the sensor, and a digital readout. For example, the Innovate LM1 is a portable unit, with an integral LCD readout of A/F ratio. But they also make the LC1, which is a fixed mount controller that drives a separate dash mountable analog or digital gauge. Altronics makes a dual channel controller, with audible alarms. There are a bunch of wide-band alternatives available.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products.php

I found this on another site for an 04. My car is a 03. Is this correct?

- There are two options for this hookup as well, again it's the left or right sensors. Locate the PCM, which is above or behind the passenger side kick panel. Look for the 104-pin connector. For the left sensor you will go to pin 87 which is a red wire with a black stripe. For the right sensor you will go to pin 60 which is a gray wire with a light blue stripe.