A/F Ratio Monitoring, How To Do So

Swarzkopf

Sep 23, 2004
Pittsburgh
Intersted in A/F ratio monitoring...

Specifically, I want the ability to read the A/F through a wideband sensor from EACH bank separately...IE I'd like to have the ability to get a reading from the passenger side bank and then the driver's side bank separately.

I've tried searching these forums and researching and I'm not coming up with much...what do you guys suggest? Does the Tweecer R/T provide this service? Are the any wideband "kits" out there?

Feedback is appreciated as always.

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC, you can either run two wide band o2 sensors to the logger/interface/guage and wire a switch to go back and forth from o2 to o2.

or

you could buy 2 wide band o2 kits and log/interface/guage each one to see/log/whatever both banks at the same time.

I dont think its that big of an issue to just have on on one bank. You are basicly making sure your KAM's/commanded A/F/wideband are matched up and working correctly.

In most cases if a bank is off from the other or drifts too far off a code will pop, in most cases its from a mech. issue not so much a huge problem in a tune that a wideband would help.

Maybe if its was some high end, out there, on the edge combo but for 99% of the time I am sure a singe wideband o2 will do just fine...so save the money.

Why don't you just get the gauge cluster that replaces the clock and put in 2 air/fuel ratio gauges.. wire the right one to the right O2 and the left to the left O2 sensor?

The tweecer only has the EGR spot for the WB, so you could only run 1 WB through the tweecer.

The LC-1 I have has a connector to hook up to my laptop, plus a seperate program to datalog. So you could run 2 seperate LC-1's into the laptop.
Scott

you could buy 2 wide band o2 kits and log/interface/guage each one to see/log/whatever both banks at the same time.

Any suggestions on which kit?

I dont think its that big of an issue to just have on on one bank. You are basicly making sure your KAM's/commanded A/F/wideband are matched up and working correctly.

In most cases if a bank is off from the other or drifts too far off a code will pop, in most cases its from a mech. issue not so much a huge problem in a tune that a wideband would help.

Maybe if its was some high end, out there, on the edge combo but for 99% of the time I am sure a singe wideband o2 will do just fine...so save the money.

If you saw my other thread concerning my car's problems you'll probably understand...

I don't need to monitor both at the same time either...I could use one "kit" and switch it back and forth.

I'm just not entirely sure what comes with a "kit" and what you do to install/use it.

Feedback appreciated.
-Shawn

I plan on going with an Innovate wideband. An LC-1 to be exact. You will prob. need the LM-1 since you dont have the R/T (IIRC you dont have the R/T correct?) the LM-1 has its own display box thing.

If its not a big deal to see both banks at the same time, then just get a good wideband and an extra bung to weld on your exh. they come with a plug to plug the hole and that would make it a quick easy swap to check the other bank.

You can also run a wideband threw the tweecer with a DataQ if you dont want to run it without or threw your EGR.

Simple, basic, and leaving the stock oem O2's undistrubed can be done by having a bung put in each side for the wb install.

When you wire it up, you leave slack in the wb harness to reach either side.

btw ... I see very little difference between the two sides.

Grady

As you guys can see, I'm a real newb about this stuff...I'd assumed that you just plugged the wideband into the existing 02 sensor bung...

You actually have to cut/weld a new bung into the exhaust to accomodate a wideband kit?

Thanks,
-Shawn

Swarzkopf said:
Thanks, mustanggt562! That kit looks AWESOME...probably what I'll get.

Not saying there is anything wrong with the kits that give you narrow band as well as wide band.

I did mine like I did it cause when I got my wb, there were only a few choices and none of them could do the narrow band thing.

I have seen some say there are advantages to leaving the oem stuff in place.

Not totally sure :shrug: other than it kinda makes sense when you think about it.

I do think spending a lot of money on fancy features doesn't make a lot of sense if you intend to output it to the Tweecer interface which allows the WB to be in sync with ALL other data you have available in the data logs :shrug:

btw ... the bungs are no big deal. IIRC, I paid 25 bux for two bungs, two plugs, and labor to have them welded in the collectors of my LT's.

Grady

btw ... the bungs are no big deal. IIRC, I paid 25 bux for two bungs, two plugs, and labor to have them welded in the collectors of my LT's.

The problem is...no business in PA is allowed to touch my exhaust system without facing potential huge fines and loss of inspection license if it's a car shop as my exhaust is not emssions passable...and I don't know how to weld.

Thanks guys,
-Shawn

If you have a way to get the mid pipe to an exh. shop via another auto like a truck just take it up there off the car. Say its for a racecar and you need it for some high end track monitoring of systems. I took off my off road H last weekend to put on my stock H for smog testing in about 5 min once it was on jacks...and that was taking my time.

blksn955.o said:
If you have a way to get the mid pipe to an exh. shop via another auto like a truck just take it up there off the car. Say its for a racecar and you need it for some high end track monitoring of systems. I took off my off road H last weekend to put on my stock H for smog testing in about 5 min once it was on jacks...and that was taking my time.

Very good point :nice:

I took my LT's to the shop and told them just about that :D

Grady