A few exhaust Questions...

97Superjet701

Apr 7, 2005
Puyallup
ok, i have posted in here for awhile but the time has come. My mom is going to order me the dual catback system by Mac for my birthday. I was just wondering what else i am going to need to do this installation, a few more exhaust mounts?? And also how hard is it to install this stuff? The ones off E-bay are basically all u need correct?
Travis

• Sponsors (?)

If you are getting it off E-gay make sure that it's from an actual business, 'cause if it's not then it might not have everything you need. But if it is the you should be ok. They're not all that hard to hook up but you will need a lift of some sort or at the very least some big jack-stands and maybe a friend to help you with it. That should just about cover it, BUT make sure you either read the instructions carefully or if it doesn't have any then look over a Mech. book of some sort for your car to get a good over-view of the exhaust (you may not need to since it's a Y-pipe set-up and it should be farily easy to do)

It's easy to do, I had no problems with mine. Just bolt on pretty much. Only problem I had is that the driver side of the new exhaust, the mac I put on, was a bit too short and it rattled a bit but I fixed that by welding the tip on to the pipe so it held better cause the tip is mounted tighter.

Passenger side muffler and tailpipe hangers. IF you dont have an air wrench, you'll need a deep penetrating spray to break loose those bolts on your stock exhaust too. I'll be getting the same system soon as well but I believe thats about it. It bolts right up. I'm just worried about how the tailpipes will hang; hopefully not higer/lower on either side and hopefully not both pointing slightly down or up. They gotta be perfectly level..but there's only one way to find out I guess

Unfortunately, you'll need the passenger side muffler hanger, and BOTH tailpipe hangers (the V6 tailpipe hanger is in a different location, so it isn't reused. You're stuck buying the muffler hanger from Ford, unless you can fab your own from 1/2" rod and a small tab of sheet metal. The muffler is offset from the hanger bolts, so there's no way to use the generic auto parts store hanger. The Ford hanger is around $20.

The GT tailpipe hangers are about $10 each, but you can make your own. slip a length of rubber heater hose over the mounting rod, find an eyebolt that will snugly fit over the hose, and get a matching u-nut to screw the eyebolt into. There are already slots for the u-bolts on both sides of the bumper frame, since it's common to the GT and the V6. I did mine that way, and it's still secure. The factory hangers are rubber blocks wrapped with steel straps that bolt to the bumper frame with two bolts.

Check first to see if the hangers are included. Mine weren't included, but I've heard that some MAC kits come with them. Probably depends on who you buy it from!

Stangfanatic98 said:
I'm sure you can pick them up at just about any auto parts store. I know Ford dealerships definately carry them if worse comes to worst. They're only like $10/ea. anyway. Or if you're totally lost for some reason: http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6ypcb.htm

that looks pretty good. does it sound good. cause im thinking about getting it. what i dont get is the kit include both systems or just one. and i have to order two of them. another question. do i have to set the Y pipe up i think setting up true dual would be bitchin but is that a problem for v6

i have a mac cat back on mine..they sound good, but honestly..i donno if its just mine, but all the connections throughout the exhaust are rusting out bad, some even have rust holes in them, it sounds good for a v6 i guess, i was happy with it, until today actually..i took it off to straighten it, again i donno if its mine but it sags bad, they tail pipes line up good and dont sag, fit right up under the bumper, but yea they seem to be rusting out bad...OH as well as one of the baffles inside the muffler broke loose in side the muffler, and i turned it upside down while and i had to pull it out, so all in all, i was happy with the sound, but rather its just mine or not...quality wise, its not holding up to well...iv had it a year with it on, rather or not how long the previous owner had it on there i donno...and for what i know just looking at the system i have...ud have to get an hpipe/xpipe to get true duals, to get rid of the cats, because the cats y into one which y back into two going to the duals