A fix for the tremec 3650

this is from ford. This is the only fix . READ my last post ford will release a service bulletin soon. That is all the info I have. I doubt you can get this at a speed shop this is a ford part .

• Sponsors (?)

I thought Tremec said there would be 3 parts (?) :confused:

3R3Z-7107-AA
3R3Z-7102-AA
3R3Z-7124-BA
3R3Z-7230-AB (NEW)

They must have added one more. Don't matter I guess as long as it fixes this. I really hope you are right and they issue a TSB. I wonder if they will fix it with the TSB alone or if they will have to verify that the problem exists first in the car you take in? You know how they are... it seems "normal" to me. :rolleyes:

This is good news, although I'm not sure how I'll go about getting mine fixed... My trans is junk, in addition to the normal problems I've missed too many shifts, I'm sure there are metal chunks the size of my thumb wreaking havoc in there. In other words I'll have to get them to get me a NEW transmission AND perform the fix to that transmission, which I doubt they'll do. Time will tell. Post up the TSB as soon as you have it.

Well I just got off the phone with a service technician from the dealership I bought my car and he told me the good news and bad news about our situation...

First I told him what problem I was having (1-2 grind) and that it happens most often after I start my car in the cold weather. I also had asked him if he had heard of any "fix kit" for this problem. He did not. Neither did any of the technicians available. He told me he knew exactly what is going on with our transmissions and that the "mini-grind" we have for the first few minutes of driving won't hurt the car and to take it easy until they do issue something to solve it. He also told me that such information as to a "fix kit" can be leaked out by a Ford rep or the internet about 3 months before Ford Co. actually hears about it and can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. That's the bad news.

The good news is that he told me if there will be an TSB (which he believes there will) then Ford will fix our cars. He mentoned nothing about the warranty, he just said THEY'D FIX IT at no charge.

I, also am holding off on installing my Tri-ax shifter but I don't think I can hold off for 3 months (give or take). About this "fix it" problem, unless you are 100% positive this is accurate info then I would say so because alot of people are holding off on modding their cars and will continue to hold off with a false sense of security. You may be telling the truth, but after 3 phone calls to 3 different service deps. I can tell you this is the same feedback I recieved each time.

Later

I know this for a fact hold off on the shifter. My service manager told me about this today. He said he may even have some of the parts tuesday. It has been confirmed as a fix to the 1-2 grind. I dont care for any dealer who said it will not hurt your car. If you grind gears you are doing damage. It may take a long time to see it but it is damaging your transmission. I would go to another dealer or wait for the tsb, but I have been told by the service manager the parts are on the way. As for your dealership they probably just not informed about it yet. They probably have not had people complaining to them about the problem. Call tremec, ask them they will confirm that ford has the parts. I did.

Can they tell if you have taken your shifter out and put it back in? I may ask them how they are about having an aftermarket shifter. If the void your warranty because of one does that info go in "the system" for other dealers?

Don't do the shifter you have to remove the rubber insulation from the factory shifter. Im not sure if you can save the rubber dampeners or not. You may or may not tear it when removing. I was going to put in a shifter too. Now Im going to wait because I know my parts are ordered for my transmission.

Calm down everyone!

First off, hold off on any aftermarket parts when you are planning on going in for Warranty work unless your dealer has Ok'd it in writting. You don't want them to screw you and blame any problems on the shifter.

2nd, the conversation that I had with the Ford corporate guy 3+ weeks ago said that this "mini-grind" is considered "no effect on performance or durability" it is acceptable.....it is NORMAL. Maybe they came up with a fix over the holiday???

3rd, there will never be a "Recall" This will be a silent recall or TSB. Part of the if you "If you don't ask, we won't tell" approach Ford has. A Recall is sent to every single owner for major safetly things like airbags, brakes, seatbelts, steering..... If there is a fix, only people who complain will get the fix.

jrc_03_gt said:
I never said it would be issued as a recall, they could just fix ones that people bring in and complain about. A tsb is not a recall. It is a technical service bulletin.

But is this similar to warranty work and are people out of warranty or with aftermarket shifters covered since its not really warranty work?