a good deal??

• Sponsors (?)

M9rkym9rk112 said:
Okay i talked to a shop and said they will charge me 550 for the labor of gears, tlok, and to install a short shifter...is this a good deal...?

First off, did that $550 include any parts? If its $550 for labor only, bring the KY because they are gonna ram it high, bud. Thats absolutely outrageous for just gears/t-lok/shifter install. You should not have to pay any more than $250-$275 max.

Actually, the shifter is a super easy mod to install. Just go through the Haynes manual to remove the stocker and install the new one. Its really a piece of cake. :nice:

550 for JUST LABOR is totaly by far to much.... I paid 168 by a pro for install for the gears, i had all the parts of course.

for 550 bucks you might as well send the gears and tlok and parts back adn buy a BRAND NEW 8.8 rear end with 3.73s and tlok already installed for 800 bucks and save you a few.....

I would not pay over 250 for an install if i had to, but if it comes down to having to bad a bit more than you wish say 300 for a good install do it, cuz its well worth the little extra to get a quality install. if you are in the north alabama area i can hook you up.

if they are trying to charge you gear install fee and a seperate tlok install free... you have to do the SAME WORK to install either so dont let them rip you off like that.

a shifter takes 10 min to put on you should be able to do it NO problem is VERY simple.

you do NOT want to install your own gears.... its not just a bolt in and go you need a backlash check, pinion depth check, crush sleve and the pinion nut have to be tqed down right, alot of this and that and the wear pattern its alot of crap that if you dont know what you are doing you had better not mess with it, its well worth the extra money to get a pro to install your gears.

SpectorV said:
you do NOT want to install your own gears.... its not just a bolt in and go you need a backlash check, pinion depth check, crush sleve and the pinion nut have to be tqed down right, alot of this and that and the wear pattern its alot of crap that if you dont know what you are doing you had better not mess with it, its well worth the extra money to get a pro to install your gears.

Speaking of gears, what rpms are you turning in fifth gear @ 80 mph? I could really use the extra low end from gears, but I do alot of highway driving and want to make sure I would not be turning too many rpms...