A good engine question for those who have driven BIG HP

boost is load dependent. No load, no boost, light load-light boost. You don't accidentally create 15 psi, unless you accidentally mat the throttle. Just because the belt is spinning or the exhaust is flowing, doesn't mean that you're building boost.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a good point. I will do what I can to make it hook in the future. I just have no engine in it right now and figure that I might as well put in the engine I want, then work on the other stuff. I may be going out of order a bit... The foot will be light for the time being. I'm not a street racer anyway. I just like the idea of having the power, not necessarily using it....too often

302 coupe said:
As for the original posters question, 400 rwhp is not by any means ridiculous horsepower for the street. It will be fun, and you have to be mature in the way you use it, but go for it. I don't think gas mileage will be a problem, I'd expect mid to upper teens from it, even with a carb. Its just a 306 you know. Of course, some people only manage to get 8 mpg from a stock 2 bbl 289, which I still don't understand.

On the other hand, unless you frequent the track, its kind of a wasted engine. I see alot of guys at the track with 500hp running mid-upper 12's, other guys with 350-400hp running mid 11's. Your 400rwhp build isn't gonna hook up on the street very well, not to say its not a streetable engine, but if you can't put the power to the ground-then whats the point in making it.

Since the throttle body or carb is usually in front of the blower, yes. Rev the engine up to 4000 in neutral with only slight throttle and the blower will be spinning in a moderate vaccum. That's why Cobra Rs and Lightnings gain so much with simple mods that free up the intake tract before the blower.

It's load dependent, but not in the same way as a turbo.