A good tip if you rent a U-haul!

• Sponsors (?)

It is a grey area, and no I dont feel bad for what I did. I would never steal from another human and especially someone I know. I have no remorse for companies, none what so ever. I'm tired of jacked up fuel costs, expensive food, high taxes, marked up auto parts. I'm tired of working 60 hours a week because Im in a holding pattern between the Marine Corps and going to Wyotech. I tried my hardest to secure a truck and trailer from everyone I know but because everyone is so greedy and untrusting I had no choice to go to Uhaul. I have used Uhaul before and they provided horrible service with little apology and so this was my compensation. I am a very nice guy, but your damn right I'm going to cover my ass. I got royally screwed by TPC Racing for my blowthrough carburetor by $500, my mustang was stolen 2 years ago and gutted but I pieced her back together. I've been stabbed in the back and every roommate I have treats my stuff like crap. So yes, what I did was wrong, but for once I was able to get back some which was taken from me. Would I steal from a company like shoplift or from a friend, no. But take advantage of a clerical error or this, yes. For starters, Uhaul charges you 50 miles regardless if you use it or not, is that right, NO!! And dont tell me that they show you all the charges up front because they dont. He just said here, sign this. Unless you take the time to read the small print, you get screwed. On top of that, he comes in from getting the truck and says the tank is full and I have to return the tank full. I sign everything and get in the truck and the thing is sitting at 7/8ths. What the hell is that about. Lastly, I asked for a standard pickup so I could save some gas cause all I was doing was towing. He gives me a big 10 year old F-350 moving van. So to that, screw that. I unplug the sensor and went about my merry way. Hell yeah I'll admit I did that and my name is Scot and I live in Illinois. Cops never fingerprinted my car so you think they are going to read this internet post and track me down. Please. Oh yeah, I had identity theft too on me to the tune of $4000. So go yell at those folks, not me or my supporters. Nobody here has said they do this too and Uhaul had no protection against it so obviously its not a big deal to them. Its the same as McDonalds pitching a bad order. They have already absorbed this into their budget and technically they didnt lose money, they just didnt make as much. They still got me for $98 for 8 hours use of a truck and dolley. For the record prices were $20 for the truck, $40 for the dolley(explain that one to me), 50 miles and tax.

SmockDoiley said:
It is a grey area, and no I dont feel bad for what I did. I would never steal from another human and especially someone I know. I have no remorse for companies, none what so ever. I'm tired of jacked up fuel costs, expensive food, high taxes, marked up auto parts. I'm tired of working 60 hours a week because Im in a holding pattern between the Marine Corps and going to Wyotech. I tried my hardest to secure a truck and trailer from everyone I know but because everyone is so greedy and untrusting I had no choice to go to Uhaul. I have used Uhaul before and they provided horrible service with little apology and so this was my compensation. I am a very nice guy, but your damn right I'm going to cover my ass. I got royally screwed by TPC Racing for my blowthrough carburetor by $500, my mustang was stolen 2 years ago and gutted but I pieced her back together. I've been stabbed in the back and every roommate I have treats my stuff like crap. So yes, what I did was wrong, but for once I was able to get back some which was taken from me. Would I steal from a company like shoplift or from a friend, no. But take advantage of a clerical error or this, yes. For starters, Uhaul charges you 50 miles regardless if you use it or not, is that right, NO!! And dont tell me that they show you all the charges up front because they dont. He just said here, sign this. Unless you take the time to read the small print, you get screwed. On top of that, he comes in from getting the truck and says the tank is full and I have to return the tank full. I sign everything and get in the truck and the thing is sitting at 7/8ths. What the hell is that about. Lastly, I asked for a standard pickup so I could save some gas cause all I was doing was towing. He gives me a big 10 year old F-350 moving van. So to that, screw that. I unplug the sensor and went about my merry way. Hell yeah I'll admit I did that and my name is Scot and I live in Illinois. Cops never fingerprinted my car so you think they are going to read this internet post and track me down. Please. Oh yeah, I had identity theft too on me to the tune of $4000. So go yell at those folks, not me or my supporters. Nobody here has said they do this too and Uhaul had no protection against it so obviously its not a big deal to them. Its the same as McDonalds pitching a bad order. They have already absorbed this into their budget and technically they didnt lose money, they just didnt make as much. They still got me for $98 for 8 hours use of a truck and dolley. For the record prices were $20 for the truck, $40 for the dolley(explain that one to me), 50 miles and tax.

U-Haul charges you right off the top for 50 miles even if you don`t go that far :notnice:
I thought only taxi drivers operated this way? :p

I`ve rented trucks in the past and only paid for the mileage I put on,nothing more.

I really wasn't going to post but to pass on an injustice for anybody is wrong. Sorry... It doesn't make it right
No harm was done and nobody will get hurt from this and I think its kind of amusing but to pay for a service that somebody provides, fully knowing what the costs and stipulations will be and go out of your way to disable/cheat the system is not a grey area. A clerical error is if somebody forgets to carry a 2 and you end up paying 10 bucks less or something.
Pointing the finger at big corporations, poor friends/roomies and bad situations is not a justification.
Kevin

Ok, since we are talking about stealing, let me realte how I got a 15% off rental voucher from Budget Truck Rental. I went to Oregon to move my son home, and I called the local U-store-it who handles Budget Truck rentals. Guy tells me the rates and says that the rate plus $100 cash deposit is required. I get to Oregon, give my son the amount the guy told me was due and $100 cash deposit while I was getting the truck and the car dolley hooked up. My son does not look at the details of the charges as he signs as the bottom line was the amount we were told. He sticks the rental agreement in the glove box and we drive home. We go to check the truck and dolley in here in St. Louis and when I look at the paper work, the charges he told me INCLUDED the $100 deposit. I called Budget, the owner of the storage place and the cops, but because he asked for and got cash, I could not prove he got it as we got no seperate receipt for the cash. The store manager swaore up and down his cash drawer was right and we must be mistaken. So, that's how I got ripped off. Budget sent me the coupon to try and make ammends, but I won't be renting a truck for anything in the forseeable future. It does not have an expiration date which is a good thing.

Smokedoiley - got any relatives in Oregon?

My opinion of UHAUL is that they rent death traps and charge wat too much for mileage. That is why I didnt rent from them when I needed to borrow a truck.

Here is my opinion on the rest of it.

I am currently the Network Operations Manager for Verizon Wireless. I deal with a lot of techinical equipment. Mice, tools, wires, connectors, adaptors, laptops, monitors, etc dissapear every day. Im not judging anyone here, but people get used to small scale stealing and expect it. They take this equipment here and there. It adds up. Verizon Makes Billions per year. They give great benefits, buy top notch equipment, train their technical employees until they cant stand to go to class anymore. What do people do, call brand new phones crap. Abuse the trucks and the equipment. "Lose" tools, equipment, etc and just take them from a storage facility without telling anyone.

I fired a guy recently that was a horrible tech. What I popped him on was the fact that he drove his company truck from New Orleans to Dothan Alabama on his days off. Filled up the truck with 25 gallons of gas each time on the corporate fuel card. I traced his phone records, the fuel records and linked that to other forms of credit card abuse and fired him. The manager I replaced was his friend (the manager was fired for running a business using Verizon equipment and time). The tech couldnt believe that he could get fired for this he called the previous manager and literally asked him "Can they fire me for this? Even thought there is a vehicle policy, credit card policy and fuel policy that he signed. He is now employeed at a car wash.

I see it day in and day out with the vendors, customers, technicians, etc, etc that I deal with. People in this country think that they are owed something. When in reality we are the richest people in the world. We make more money and pay less for nearly every damn thing that we buy. Because we insist on things being cheap, we force labor to be directed to other countries that are over populated and can pay any slob pennys a day to work in unsafe conditions and produce massive amounts of work. If they fire or kill them, there are literally thousands of people waiting outside the door to replace them.

Credibility, integrity and honesty are waning traits in this country. I dont look for ways to put the screws to people any people. Am I perfect, no. I am guilty of these small infractions as well. I havent stolen a physical item from a store since I was a child.

Perfectly put hllon4whls about the speedo. And about your statement, yes integrity and honesty are going out the window here. I know what I did wasnt right morally but I knew no harm would really come of it and I was really in a bind exhausting all avenues before doing this. If I had the money I would have paid the full fee. I'm not really trying to stick it to companies and this and that, but I do have a poor history with Uhaul and all I hear are bad things about them. I also dont like how I get jewed on the gas gauge and that all the fees were NOT fully explained to me. He was pressed to quick in, quick out with me. Spare you the details, I dont appreciate companies with poor track records or that treated me poorly so though I wouldnt steal from them I wouldnt say anything if McDonalds gave me 4 burgers and I only paid for 2. When I hear stories of people screwing Mal Mart by returning old stuff as new or using a pool for the summer and returning it right before the warranty expires, I think its funny. Thats just me, sue me or hate me, Im a good guy and Ive had too many bad things happen to me that I wouldnt want them to happen to someone else because I know how bad it feels. I work a 2nd job at Advance Auto Parts and I see people buying tools when they get parts and then they return the tools and not the parts and say they didnt need it. I know full well they used it and it makes me mad, but we just do the return because AAP has already excepted these expenditures into their budget and they'd rather make the cheap ass happy so he comes back. Im not saying any of this is necessarily ok to do, but in this case I applied my car knowledge, tools and resourcefulness to my advantage to help get myself out of a financial bind. In the same sense one would steal bread to feed a starving family. Not exactly on the same page but hopefully you understand.

[EDITED]

I'm sorry to hear that you've found yourself in such a financial bind that you feel you have no choice but to sacrifice your honesty and integrity.

It's difficult to feel that way after the way you have tried to justify your actions, the backpedaling you have done after people called you out, and especially after some of the comments you made really reminded me of just how oblivious some people can be about the world.

PM me your address, I will send you $10 if it will help you get back on track. Put it towards paying UHaul back -- or at least offering to. Seriously.

89MustangGX said:
[EDITED]

I'm sorry to hear that you've found yourself in such a financial bind that you feel you have no choice but to sacrifice your honesty and integrity.

i still live in the handshake mentality. a handshake means a deal is a deal. i still take people for face value. honesty and integrity is what this country is founded on... yes, i have been burned by this. but i still think people still have been raised with some morals and values. karma takes care of the rest. just my 2 cents.

Information is all over the internet. You can also buy books on how to do all kinds of illegal things. It is just information and only wrong once you actually carry it out. The OP left a tip that someone can use at their own discretion. If it bothers someone to do this then don't. Would I do this? No! My point is that this guy is an adult and if we disagree or dont want to do this to a rental then don't, but why lecture him? When I see post like this on other sites I just make a note not to buy from that person in the classifieds, lol. Later

Who cares if stealing is ok or not.... the real question is why is this thread still in the tech section when it has nothing to do with 5.0 tech? Sheesh.