A LATE 81 HACK JOB UPDATE

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Small one, but I hooked up some 6X8 Kenwood speakers in the rear. 4 ohm, 250watts max. They sound great with the stock Ford AM-FM-Cass-CD radio. I hooked up 4-1/4" Alpine door speakers. 4 ohm, 240 watts max.

I also refinished the quarter glass moldings. They came out great. 1 can of SEM Primer/Surfacer on each molding. Then I used SEM trim black. Then I finished them with SEM Satin Gloss Clear. I did the same with all the other trim. I need to clean the glass still, because the primer bled through the tape, but you get the idea.

I also installed new door run channels. PITA at first, but after I got them started they were smooth as butter an fit good. The window goes up much easier now.

View attachment 322954

View attachment 322955

DSC04282.jpg

DSC04280.jpg

DSC04279.jpg

DSC04278.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys. I shared my products with you, so go get some. :D The SEM sprayed really nice, till the last drop. The key is sanding first, prime them like 3-4 times, then sand. Prime again and sand again til they are smooth.

***Try the clear on something else before you put it on your moldings. I got TWO bad cans. One sprayed out white chunks, the other spattered up bad and ruined everything I did, making me redo them. They must sit forever before you buy them. I even had my shop put them on the shaker first.***

Because of my 81, I am taking all the moldings off my 91 notch to repaint them like that. I just laid paint and they still look old and cracked, with fresh paint.

looks good, at least you'll be able to listen to the radio now

Yeah, I am really impressed with the sound of such small speakers. I know it will only get better once the interior is in too. They have just the right amount of bass....not too much and not too little. I am not a fan of old school "boom boxes" :D

Those "custom fit for Mazda/Ford Kenwoods, and Pioneers and such fit like factory.

Are you going to paint the door jam around the upper half of the door black to the trim all blends in? I wondered why it looked weird an then I remembered that from the factory that area was blacked out...at least on my '93... Otherwise looking good.

Before you put the interior in you should dynamat or cascade audio the interior. If you cover the whole inside you could see a 6-7 db drop and the car will just sound like a banz when you close a door. The stereo will sound nice and clear when driving too :nice: Since you can spray I would just get a bucket and that could do the whole inside for $100. Also helps with heat transfer inside form the exhaust.

BTW Alpine makes a real nice 6" that fits perfect in thoes doors and will give way more midbass than the 4.5"

Dont really matter since that car is one sweet ride already :nice:

Are you going to paint the door jam around the upper half of the door black to the trim all blends in? I wondered why it looked weird an then I remembered that from the factory that area was blacked out...at least on my '93... Otherwise looking good.

Oh....the yellow you see between the quarter glass and the door framing?

Yes....I am going to mask everything off and paint that flat black. I wanted to do it before I put the quarter glass in, but I forgot about it. That little yellow strip will be gone soon.

Laser-SVT----I Cascade Audio Engineered the entire front firewall, underside of cowl, and A-pillars, and the front flooring. I ran out of it and it's 90 dollars a box. I don't think I am spending another 90 on it.

I found some huge peices of rubber matting just as thick. I don't want to stick that other stuff where I might ever have to remove it. I am going to line the front floor pans, under the front seats, and the rear floor pans with it.

I also found some foam under the back seat of a 2003 Grand Marquis I bought to cut up. I am cutting that and fitting it behind the quarter trim panels on the wheel house. I also left the jute backing on the factory 2001 carpet I am putting in. It should be very quiet I hope. (All my 81 fatory sound deadening I threw away as it smelled like rat pee.)

Oh yeah that thing should be nice and quiet. I like rolling up the windows with the AC and having a nice quiet ride and when I want to hear it just dpor the windows :nice:

I agree. MY Dad's GT500 is incredibly quiet. I thought I was driving on cotton.

MY 91 notch has some rattles in the shifter, and an ANNOYING squeak in the left rear seat belt reel. I hope this 81 is nice and quiet. It shoud be, I spent forever on the dash making two extra brackets to keep things tight.

SEM? Not sure I've ever heard about this brand? How much was it per can, and I'm assuming the primer surfacer has a flex agent built in? And where can you get it? Any paint store? I'm re-doing my trim soon and could use the help. Thanks

Edit; What grit did you prep them with also? 320 before prime? then 600 before paint? Just want mine to look that good

SEM? Not sure I've ever heard about this brand? How much was it per can, and I'm assuming the primer surfacer has a flex agent built in? And where can you get it? Any paint store? I'm re-doing my trim soon and could use the help. Thanks

Edit; What grit did you prep them with also? 320 before prime? then 600 before paint? Just want mine to look that good

SEM should be available at a paint supplier store. Haven't seen it at Murrays/AZ. It is about 8-9 dollars per can. It is worth it because it sprays perfect til the last drop. No sign of running out until it is gone.

It depends how bad your trim is. My quarters were HORRIBLE. I hit them with 80 grit on a DA sander. Then I started priming the living chit out of them. I hit them again with 320 grit on a DA. After that, more primer coats, then I switched to sanding with 320 but by hand.

After they were ready, I hit them with a Scotch Brite (scuff) pad. I then put a few thin coats of trim black paint until it covered. I let that sit for 20 minutes, and then I put 2 light coats of satin gloss clear, and 1 wet coat of satin gloss clear. I let them dry about 1 hour before handling them. They were not fully dry though for about 24 hours. You could feel the difference between dry of one hour and dry of 24 hours. Stick to the same brands for all three cans. SEM.