A little frustrated...

puma1552

Feb 12, 2011
So in my few weeks of Mustang ownership, I've been seeking out Mustang forums (there is an endless number as you know), and so far this is the only one I've joined, and I like it.

However, I can't find anything at all in terms of forums concerned with history and restoration for our SN95 cars. For example, if you wander over to ThirdGen.org, they have a genuine effort, solid and documented database of information regarding factory standard equipment, factory options, production numbers, pretty much everything under the sun in terms of what the factory made for third generation Camaros. Going further, there is a history/restoration forum that aims to preserve the cars as much as possible, and works extremely hard to provide accurate information so that incorrect information doesn't proliferate. It also goes deep into the history of factory 1LE cars, SCCA cars, Player's Challenge/IMSA cars, etc. etc. In other words, it's the forum to look to for preservation of those cars and making sure you restore it correctly.

But I can't find an analogue for later Mustangs.

All I can find are forums where people just want to modify every bit they can (nothing wrong with that), but nobody seems to care or be focused on how our cars were built, what they were optioned with, etc. Do I have no options at the present time for a place catering to this?

That's my first question, and question #2 hinges directly on it.

For my own curiosity, what factory options were available for a 1998 GT? I'm just trying to get as comprehensive a list as I can of factory options, so I can see how loaded mine is. Please add/correct what I have below for options:

--Leather
--Automatic tranny
--3.27 Axle Ratio
--Mach 460
--17" Wheels
--Ashtray/Lighter
--Rear Defrost (?)
--ABS (?)
--Floormats (?)
--Spoiler (?)
--Power Driver's Seat (?)
--Power Passenger Seat (?)
--Heated Seats (?)

I've spent a good bit of time searching the interwebs, and I can find basically nothing, or just a bunch of generic Edmunds, etc. information which always conflicts depending which generic site you visit.

Any other options or corrections to the options I listed? Some of these may be standard, or were unavailable, I'm just not sure.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

1998 Mustang Overview
Minor changes were effected in 1998. The interior was slightly updated, and the venerable "dash clock" was removed. Air conditioning was made standard on GT models. The tires were changed to an "H" speed rating, down from a Z rating in 1998. The optional leather package was downgraded to include the front buckets only, in an effort to make it more affordable.

The SOHC 4.6L V8 in the GT model received a slight bump in horsepower and torque for 1998. The engine now produced 225 horsepower at 4750 rpm and 290 ft-lbs of torque at 3500 rpm. The base V6 and Cobra motors remained unchanged at 150 and 305 horsepower, respectively.

1998 Mustang Retail Prices
Model
Price

* Standard Coupe
* $16,150

* Standard Convertible
* $20,650

* GT Coupe
* $20,150

* GT Convertible
* $24,150

* Cobra Coupe
* $25,710

* Cobra Convertible
* $28,510

1998 Mustang Production Numbers by Model
Model
Quantity

* Standard Convertible

* Standard Coupe

* GT Convertible

* GT Coupe

* Cobra Convertible

* Cobra Coupe

1998 Mustang Production Numbers by Color
Color
Quantity

* Black

* Bright Atlantic Blue

* Atlantic Blue
* 12, 151

* Crystal White

* Dark Green Satin

* Pacific Satin

* Laser Red

* Rio Red

* Chrome Yellow

* Silver
* ?

* Autumn Orange
* ?

* Performance Red
* ?

1998 Mustang Engines
Engine
HP/TQ
0-60
Quarter Mile

* 3.8L V6
* 150 hp @ 4000 RPM
215 lb-ft @ 2500 RPM
* 9.9 sec

* 4.6L SOHC V-8
* 215 hp @ 4200 RPM
285 lb-ft @ 3400 RPM
* 6.7 sec
* 15.1 sec

* 4.6L DOHC V-8
* 300 hp @ 5000 RPM
285 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM
* 5.6 sec
* 14.3 sec

1998 Mustang VIN Decoder
Engine Code
Engine/Body/Options

* 3.8L OHV V6 150hp

* X

* 4.6L SOHC V8 215hp

* V

* 4.6L DOHC V-8 300hp

* 2dr Coupe

* 2dr Hatchback LX

* 2dr Hatchback GT

* 2dr Convertible LX

* 2dr Convertible GT

* Check Digit (varies)

* W

* Year (W - 1998)

* F

* Plant (F - Dearborn)

* Consecutive Unit Number

* 1FA

* Ford Motor Co.

* L

* Restraint System (L-air bags & active belts)

* P

* Passenger Car

Example: 1FALP4046RF000001

Location: Stamped on the plate which is riveted to the driver's side of the dash, visible through windshield; the certification label is attached to the rear face of the driver's door.

1998 Mustang Exterior Colors
Color
Code

* Black
* UA

* Atlantic Blue
* K6

* Bright Atlantic Blue
* K7

* Rio Red
* E8

* Laser Red
* E9

* Performance Red
* ES

* Autumn Orange
* BG

* Chrome Yellow
* BZ

* Silver
* YN

* Dark Green Satin
* FU

* Pacific Green
* PS

* Crystal White
* ZR

1998 Mustang Interior Trim Colors
Color

* Saddle
* Medium Graphite
* Black

1998 Mustang Convertible Top Colors
Color
Code

* Black
* A

* Saddle
* M

* White
* W

Our cars aren't really old enough for the resto crowd. With that being said I am sorta resto modding my car. A site you may like is the mustangsource.com They have an excellent data base for our cars.

Thanks MaxPowers, but that's exactly the info I didn't want--regurgitated copy/pasted stuff from any general site like Edmunds, MSN Autos, etc. etc. which could be right or wrong, but also only tells me about production numbers and colors.

I want RPO decoding type stuff.

I'll poke around a bit more on Mustang Source, but haven't found much yet...it's a pretty slow forum.

I do not specifically know about '98, but around that time Ford was VERY simple when it came to Mustangs. For my 2001 Mustang GT, there were only two available options:
1) leather
2) Mach 460 stereo which is a very good stereo if you only listen to CDs and/or standard radio. I livebt my iPod so I ripped it out.

Please correct me if I am incorrect ...

So in my few weeks of Mustang ownership, I've been seeking out Mustang forums (there is an endless number as you know), and so far this is the only one I've joined, and I like it.

However, I can't find anything at all in terms of forums concerned with history and restoration for our SN95 cars. For example, if you wander over to ThirdGen.org, they have a genuine effort, solid and documented database of information regarding factory standard equipment, factory options, production numbers, pretty much everything under the sun in terms of what the factory made for third generation Camaros. Going further, there is a history/restoration forum that aims to preserve the cars as much as possible, and works extremely hard to provide accurate information so that incorrect information doesn't proliferate. It also goes deep into the history of factory 1LE cars, SCCA cars, Player's Challenge/IMSA cars, etc. etc. In other words, it's the forum to look to for preservation of those cars and making sure you restore it correctly.

But I can't find an analogue for later Mustangs.

All I can find are forums where people just want to modify every bit they can (nothing wrong with that), but nobody seems to care or be focused on how our cars were built, what they were optioned with, etc. Do I have no options at the present time for a place catering to this?

That's my first question, and question #2 hinges directly on it.

For my own curiosity, what factory options were available for a 1998 GT? I'm just trying to get as comprehensive a list as I can of factory options, so I can see how loaded mine is. Please add/correct what I have below for options:

--Leather
--Automatic tranny
--3.27 Axle Ratio
--Mach 460
--17" Wheels
--Ashtray/Lighter
--Rear Defrost (?)
--ABS (?)
--Floormats (?)
--Spoiler (?)
--Power Driver's Seat (?)
--Power Passenger Seat (?)
--Heated Seats (?)

I've spent a good bit of time searching the interwebs, and I can find basically nothing, or just a bunch of generic Edmunds, etc. information which always conflicts depending which generic site you visit.

Any other options or corrections to the options I listed? Some of these may be standard, or were unavailable, I'm just not sure.

Thanks.

Have you ever visited the website that reads "www.Mustang Evolution.com"? On there you can find a tab for "Mustang History" and then search by year. But keep in mind that the 94-98 Mustangs are similar in design and options. So in order to fully understand the options that are relevant to your year you must look at the subsequent years. Annoying sometimes I know.
Ex:
In 1994 Ford introduced the option of ABS (additional $500) but sometimes isn't mentioned afterwards in the following years since its assumed that its already known.

There's also "www.newcar.com". There you can search by make year and model...etc. Under the "specs" tab, once you enter your car info, is a drop down for "Pkgs/Options". A list of available options for the car and year is now visible. I hope this helps some. Good luck guy