A New Way To Make A V6 To V8 Engine Swap

me27821

Oct 18, 2002
Long Island
This thread is just for curiosity purposes, and to keep the V6 forums interesting. I am in no way seriously considering attempting this.

This may looks like the same old question that's been asked over and over. "What does it take (time and money) to swap my V6 engine out with a V8? The answer to that would of course be to swap out the entire car instead. Makes perfect sence. It's cheaper, less frustrating, less time consuming, and everything else you can possibly think of. Now take this into consideration... Let's say someone has a heavily modded V6. Something to this extent: (the prices are just guesses)

Dynamat lined interior and doors. ($300)
Brand new carpet and weatherstripping ($700)
Brand New convertible top, and repainted frame ($1500)
Custom dyed dash, doors, and steering wheel. White and Black ($200)
Custom painted trim, knobs and accessories. Blue and Silver ($150)
Custom embroidered white leather seats. ($800)
Full crome buttons, switches, and handles ($1500)
Reverse Halo Gauges, with mirror trim, and costom glow outline ($150)
Custom sound system, which includes:
$200 in laid out wiring
$400 custom mounted amps in trunk
11 million hours worth of designing and installing subwoofers in the cabin
Integrated train horn, megaphone, and FM modulator (just for S&G)
Dual exhaust system with H-pipe, and high flow cats ($700)
Fused on body kit and spoiler, with custom designed louvers ($900)
2 tone paint job with vinyl horse graphics ($2000)

That's about all i can think of. Now, this isn't my car. Someday I was hoping it would be. I am about 2/3 of the way there though.

Either way, let's say all of us V6 owners modded our cars out to the point that there was absolutely nothing left to do, except engine work. That would be where the obvious, and same tired old question comes in. Of course for someone with a fully modded car like this (with some things that cannot be tranfered (fused body kit, Dynamat)), swapping the entire car is not an option. That's where the engine swap question takes a twist.

Given the fact that an engine swap requires much more than just swapping the engine (fuel pump, computers, and a million other things), Why not just buy a GT? Take that GT, and swap out the required parts from one car to another. Basically, rape and pillage the GT for all required parts for the swap, since they're all there. Then install all removed V6 parts on this car you just bought, test it, and sell it for whatever value is left on it.

Would this even be possible? It makes no sence to me why it wouldn't, and it would be an interesting project. Since, in the factory, all mustangs were at some point the same car (before they split off to become a V6 or GT), this theoretically should be possible. And while we're at it, why not swap out the V6's auto tranny, with the GT's manual.

This would be a fun weekend project. You'll probly even have all of sunday to drive your new "GT" (yeah right). So what does everyone think of something like this?

• Sponsors (?)

Getting a donor car is a common method employed in swap engines. Usually a wrecked/salvage GT is used. A donor car is the easiest way to do it for someone who doesn't have much experience or knowledge in all the parts that must be swapped.

sorscode.com is more than sufficient in giving a parts list if you plan to go all aftermarket high performance parts so you don't waste money on an intermediate step. And if you run into a snag, the site owner is more than learned enough to help.

I've considered getting a 1995 white gt and just switching over the stuff I've put on my car so far, but I'm detered by the host of mechanical problems that may be wrong with the GT.

This has been a long time dream of mine, to swap a crate Mach I engine from the Ford catalog into my car, but then I learned what it would really take. Engine, $6500. New transmission, at least 2 grand. New 8.8 rear end, $500? or more.. new suspension...$?? New brakes, at least $1000.. new exhaust, $300 or more.. new computer & electronics & engine mounts.. who knows..
Bottom line is, just the parts would easily run me up over $10,000. Then I have to pay to have it installed, since I don't have the tools or talent to do it myself. By now it's looking ridiculously expensive. Remember, it has to be done correctly, as in street legal, so no half-a$$ shortcuts will work.
So, the easiest way to end up with a V8 is to install one part in your V6.. it's called a FOR SALE sign. I wouldn't get the newer styled one with a Firebird on it, go for the classic red-n-white one. Then, you can buy a heck of a nice GT used for the money you were going to blow on a V6 to V8 swap. Believe me, if there were a cheap way to swap in an emissions-legal V8, I'd be all over it, but I don't think there is.

when it comes time to swapping my engine, the first thing I plan to install is a for sale sign. This car has way too many problems. It's falling apart on me, and I can barely keep up with the repairs. For me, it's not about swapping an engine, but about getting this car out of my life. Seeing as my 25th birthday is coming in 4 1/2 months, an 04 GT sounds really nice right now. Still under warantee too. I'd of course move all the shiny and custom stuff into the new car, even though I'm affraid of cursing it. The only stuff that cant be moved? New convertible top (who cares), new carpet (who cares), Dynamat lined floor and doors ($300 gone), white and black dashboard (easy enough to dye again), gauges (who cares). My main concern is selling this old one. It's approaching lemon status, and I'd feel guilty not telling somone that they're buying a lemon. It is however worth a about 4G's. I'm another one of those guys who discourages doing an actual engine swap. And my advice to any V6 owner is to hang on to any ideas as long as they can. Don't do crazy mods to you car that can't be moved to another car. Unless of course you never want a GT.

That's the way to go, with the for sale sign.. as for me, I'm hanging on to my V6 for a while. Mine is over 115,000 miles, but it has not had a single problem. No leaks, no squeaks, no nothing. Funny how 2 cars from the same plant can behave so differently..:shrug:
Maybe when the '09 Mustang GT comes out it will convince me to plunge back into car payments.. if it has a 5.4 or 5.8 engine, tons of low-end torque, weighs 2900 pounds, modern and aggressive styling, low 13 second or high 12 second 1/4 miles off the showroom floor, and a 6 speed transmission and cylinder deactivation that lets it get 30+ mpg on the highway! :drool: :drool: :drool: That's what I want to see.. hey, I can dream, right? :nice:

I had accumulated all the parts necessary to swap in a 1993 LSC 32valve 4.6L a T45 and a 8.8 disc rear into my 1993 Fox, including the wiring harness computer etc.

I spent less than 4k. It's called shopping around, you don't need brand new parts. BTW, this was including new parts such as new clutch, new calipers for the 5 lug swap, new rotors etc, the motor had 45k on it and a warranty, the trans had 23k miles on it. If the stuff would not have been stolen, I would have had a fox with a 32 valve cobra motor, 300 hp and it'd be worth about 9k.

I'm not too keen on scrounging around junkyards looking for used parts that you don't know for sure if they are any good until you install and try them. Yes, you can save a lot of money, but the opposite could also happen. I bought used wheels for my car, but that's another story. All the other parts I have installed have been new. I would never put in a used Mustang engine, because if it has any power to it, odds are it's been abused. Yeah, I know there are always exceptions and it's possible to find a screaming good deal, but with my luck I'd swap in a used GT engine only to have it fail emissions one day, and go out to the garage to find a nice pool of oil under the car the next. That's too big a risk for my blood. Whether I get a more powerful V6 or even a V8 swapped in, either way, it's going to be an engine from Ford. Either new or remanufactured.

Yeah, I know there are always exceptions and it's possible to find a screaming good deal, but with my luck I'd swap in a used GT engine only to have it fail emissions one day, and go out to the garage to find a nice pool of oil under the car the next. That's too big a risk for my blood. Whether I get a more powerful V6 or even a V8 swapped in, either way, it's going to be an engine from Ford. Either new or remanufactured.

Why not take the engine apart after it's out of the donor and before it goes into the new car?
Chances are your donor is going to be a wrecked car. You usually have to be driving to get into a wreck, and your car usually has to be running properly for you to drive it. Therefore the donor engine will more than likely be in working order. It still doesn't hurt to pull the pan and do a visual inspection of the bottom end, and change all the gaskets. If you want to get a little more involved, pull the bottom end and instal new rings and bearings. Several people do exactly this with remanufactured engines.

I helped my friend swap a used '98 3.8 into his '94. Only problem was that one wire on the harness was cut. Besides that it still runs fine.
I have a '98 GT40P 5.0 out of a Mountaineer that's going into my '66. I only paid $375, and sold several parts off of it like the intake.

If you use caution, used parts can be great deals.
As far as engines go, a low-mileage 5.0 out of an SUV just might be more reliable than a remanufactured one that was assembled by some guy making $7/hour to turn a torque wrench; it's gonna be cheaper too.

Some people are just set in their ways.

Used parts have worked fine for me. And if not, it still would be cheaper to refreshen a 4.6L bought for under 400 dollars, than to buy a new one.

It is all in what you are prepared to do yourself as well. if it is too much to refreshen a used engine, then I guess you need to look at only remanned or new.