A supercharger ?

mustanglouie

Dec 30, 2004
Oakwood GA
I am looking a getting a Vortech for my car and want to know if you can get the complete kit with everything in it except for the FMU? I have a diablo chip and don't need the FMU. Can you get the entire package without the FMU? I want to see if you could so it might make the supercharger a little cheaper. I don't know I am just curious I guess. And were would you guys say it the cheapest place to get a Vortech from?

• Sponsors (?)

if i am reading correctly, you are under the impression that because you have a diablo chip, the fmu is unnecessary. that isnt necessarily true. what size injectors and fuel pump do you have? is the diablo chip programmed with a tune for a car with a supercharger? give us a bit more info on your setup including mods now and future plans so we can better help you.

The FMU basically takes the place of bigger injectors...so in order to not run an FMU, you would need bigger injectors.

Your sig says you have 24 #ers....I would definitely get those changed to at least 36's...maybe even 42s to play it safe. You're going to need a bigger pump as well if you haven't already purchased one. You will also have to get your MAF recalibrated for the size injectors you have...or just get a new MAF all together.

Your stock ignition system may hold up for a while...but I'd look at getting an aftermarket unit as well...it can't hurt anything.

You'll also have to re-tune your car at the dyno...which means you'll need a new chip (or is it programmable?). Your car's computer won't like the bigger injectors so a custom tune is pretty much mandatory.

This should get you going support wise.

That should get you going as far as support goes.

if your only running 24s then you should just run the FMU. besides i can't imagine that FMU cost much. IIRC, anderson ford motorsports had a tuner kit that came already with a power pipe. don't remember what was all included/ not included.

well I was just wondering if I needed it (the FMU). I think the diablo chip I have is reburnable. So heres the thing can I just bolt on the new supercharger kit and FMU and be done with it. Like keeping my 24lbs injectors and keeping my 80 mm mass air meter and pretty much keeping everything else the same. I am sure that it is not smart but for money purposes. I know you are probably thinking well if he has the money for the supercharger kit why not go ahead and get the other stuff to. Well I just want to make it work with what I got. I don't want to make gobs of hp right now just enough to make me happy for now then maybe later get the other stuff people have mentioned.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone not using an FMU with a blower setup. I wouldn't want to risk not getting enough fuel to the combustion chambers by only relying on the computer?
i dont use an fmu with my setup.

my fuel system:

Walbro 255lph Intank Fuel Pump
Vortech T-Rex 155lph Inline Fuel Pump
Bosch 42lb Injectors
Kirban Adjustable FPR

that was more than adequate with the 302. we will see with the 331, but im certain if it isnt enough, a minor bump in fuel pressure and a little tweaking of the fuel tables in the tweecer will fix it.