A week with no mufflers... will it drive right?

TomCat

Apr 19, 2005
Utah
Well because of scheduling problems and the fact that I don't get paid in time, I'm going to end up driving the stang (with its new Hpipe and tranny !!! ) for about a week before I can afford mufflers. Is the car going to drive like ass without the backpressure from the mufflers? Reason I'm doing it is because the guy doing my tranny offered to put in the H for me while doing the tranny, but he doesn't do exhaust welding and stuff. The local exhaust shop won't put an O/R pipe in for me, but has no problem welding mufflers onto it. So anways, will it even be driveable? Also... it'll probably be loud.

• Sponsors (?)

It will be driveable but will be loud.. Cops dont so much like loud, do you not have the stock catback? I would put it back on if you have it because imho
1) Its to loud
2)It will rob some torque from you
3) it will sound like a$$(totally my opinion)

but if its your only car and you dont have the catback... then what can you do :shrug:

I once drove my 65 on a roadtrip to work(about 45 miles) with just headers, I will never do that again without earplugs , I had a massive headache when I got to work, but on the way home I had a nice mandrel bent system :rolleyes: So you gotta do what you got to do:nice:

edit: Sorry I was way slow on the reply there

I ran my 89 LX 5.0 with shorty headers into a 2.5" H-pipe and then nothing else for a couple seasons

You will lose bottom end torque and it will be so loud that you won't be able to drive next to the walls on the highway

My car is sitting at home like ths right now....just an off road x pipe...i am wiaitng for my new catback to come in...but id suggest you dont drive it unless you have to...yes its loud as anything casue the exhasut is ending right under you...it wont hurt anything, but it can be done

i drove home 30 minutes when i blew a muffler off my xpipe. it sounded cool for like the first 5 minutes. wicked raspy and wicked loud. car felt like i was towing a boat anchor behind it though. no low end torque

Thanks for the replies guys.I don't have the stock catback... as of now the car has a catted H on it and the mufflers are dumped. It's all welded together. I've had this OR pipe for a while, and I just wanna get it on. I don't want to be screwing up exhaust valves or anything, and I hate not having full power... so I'm not going to daily drive it. I'll just have to bum rides off of everyone :nice: or I might just use the old credit card to get some mufflers on there, and then worry about paying it off later.

Later,
Brandon

The only way exaust valves can be damaged by running no pipes is the hot exaust valves suddenly in contact with much cooler air when you shut it off and it can warp them. That is one reason you see dragsters with the cap on top of the pipe, so when the exaust stops flowing, it caps it off. Anyone who says backpressure is nessasary for a car to run right doesn't know what they are talking about.

- it will be loud if you run it with no mufflers, but if it's just for a week, or not a daily driver, if you can't take it your a sissy.

I ran no mufflers on my '88 for years with no problems. Too lazy to weld some in I guess. Always felt like it was lacking low end torque.. I used to brag that my 5.0 was the only one in town that couldn't squeal the tires from a stop.

The h-pipe doesn't end right under you exactly...more like right behind the rear seat or in that vicinity. I unhooked my h-pipe from my mufflers and drove like that for 6 months or so - I had the tailpipes/mufflers tied up w/ coat hangers. Yeah...it's loud, which should be obvious, but it definately won't kill you. I never got pulled over, but that's not to say you won't. Listening to the radio will probably be pointless.

However, since you made the comment about having a credit card, if you have any quams about driving it like that, just put the exhaust work on the credit card. You're gonna spend the money next week anyway, right? You'll get the same work done w/ the same price tag, but physical cash is your only problem right now, right? That's what credit cards are for; you can pay your bill at any time. Next week when you get your paycheck, go straight to a store and get a money order for the exact amount (or more) that you charge for the exhuast work and mail it off to the credit card company. Interest paid will be very minimal, you won't get into debt, and you won't have credit problems IF YOU PAY IT OFF NEXT WEEK just like you would be handing the cash to the exhaust shop next week. Credit cards aren't bad, it's just when idiots get ahold of them and think that it's free money is where the problem lies.

Good Luck!

90mustangGT said:
Anyone who says backpressure is nessasary for a car to run right doesn't know what they are talking about.

- it will be loud if you run it with no mufflers, but if it's just for a week, or not a daily driver, if you can't take it your a sissy.

Well off the top of my head, the people I know and have personally talked to about it. Carrol shelby, Steve Saleen, Marc Visconni(if you know engineers well you know him) and john force... those are just people I have talked to in person about back pressure. Oh yeah, and the countless books on fluid flow dynamics in a pulse driven system?

Sorry you just got yourself a front row seat on the short bus.
Just clearing this up... in fact edit your post so someone doesnt read it and get confused in the future... Im sure your just misdirected, but do some research before you open that ignorant trap of yours

TomCat said:
Thanks for the replies guys.I don't have the stock catback... as of now the car has a catted H on it and the mufflers are dumped. It's all welded together. I've had this OR pipe for a while, and I just wanna get it on. I don't want to be screwing up exhaust valves or anything, and I hate not having full power... so I'm not going to daily drive it. I'll just have to bum rides off of everyone :nice: or I might just use the old credit card to get some mufflers on there, and then worry about paying it off later.

Later,
Brandon

Most credit card companies wont charge you interest if paid off in the first month, my grandfather used to only use his american express and pay it off at the end of the month. I assume he got some kind of rewards? Dunno hes dead now so I cant ask him. Anyway, that is what I would do because as long as you pay it off, no worries

Yah, I should be able to pay it off next week. I just don't like using cards because it seems that something always comes up, and that takes all my money and leaves the debt uncleared. Well it'll be in the shop on Monday, so I'll see where to go from there.

Later,
Brandon

90mustangGT said:
The only way exaust valves can be damaged by running no pipes is the hot exaust valves suddenly in contact with much cooler air when you shut it off and it can warp them. That is one reason you see dragsters with the cap on top of the pipe, so when the exaust stops flowing, it caps it off. Anyone who says backpressure is nessasary for a car to run right doesn't know what they are talking about.

I agree fully.