AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Well here's the story. I bought a set of 17" Bullit rims from a guy somewhat locally. I just got the tires today, took them down to Pep Boys to get them mounted. The tires I got are Kumho ASX. The rims were said to be unbent and such. However when I drove off the car was vibrating so bad it felt like I had installed a vibrating seat. I took it back and they said that two rims were bent. WTF? Are there any other possibilities?

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno now that i think about it, it would be pretty hard to bend the rims during mounting unless you had no idea what you are doing. Did u get them balanced? if so they could be balanced wrong or something could be insde the tire( happend to me once when i was mounting a tire) are they directional tires, if so make sure they are rotating in the right direction. or the rims could just be bent, have you looked to see if you can tell if they are bent?

Ghostalker said:
Hunter machinces couldnt screw up ure rims, wouldnt it take one HELL of an impact to bend the rims?

Exactly, your talking about at least a 35 mph wheel impact into a curb to bend a rim up beyond repair. I'd have to say it was probably the high school dropouts at Pep Boys who probably don't even know how to operate the wheel balance machines.

I'd take it back and have them rebalance and watch em do it. Also check the lugs to make sure they are tight, you never know. Or better yet...take it someplace else...just my opinion.

if you look at the rims you can tell obvious out-of-round spots on the wheel. I bet the screwed up at pep boys when they did the balancing take it back and say they don't seem to be balanced properly, i hardly ever hear you complain chris, so i know it must be they're fault!

jack up the rear of the car and idle it in gear. look to see if the wheels wobble, if they don't then get them rebalanced somewhere else. it is easy to balance a tire, so they must be smoking the good stuff.

that high school drop out hired that day at pep boys didnt know crap. The wheel and tire were not lined up correctly and thats why it did that.

then here's the funny part of the story. the guy showed me how far off these points were...then he showed me the weights they put on the tires. first off they were all put on the inside of the wheel. Second off there were some weights that look like they were trimmed down in size with tin snips or something. lol.

i did happen to notice while i was watching the guy mount them that he didnt seem to know how to use the machine...when putting the second side of the tire on the rim he was pushing with his hand and then some guy came over and showed him the little arm that comes down to hold it down while it turns....