? About Battery 1996 V8

Tqgrl78

Sep 26, 2016
Florida
I have a 1996 convertible gt with a v8. I'm needing a new battery but they are only giving me a choice of one brand. Is there other brands that will fit that might be cheaper than 100

• Sponsors (?)

Who is "they"?

You can put whatever brand of battery you want in there. Your factory battery was likely either a group 58 or 59 with a whopping 500-550cca. Not hard to find batteries that size and cranking power right at or just under $100. Any of the parts stores should have one, or Batteries+, or Sears, even Wal-Mart.

yes 74stang2togo hit it right on the money unless your battery is in horrible condition everything you need to know about it will be on the sticker generally in between the post of the battery the group size like for example 24F is the type and size of battery and the cca is the cold cranking amps wich would be 400 to 550 around there it will look like this ( CCA550 ) just go to a parts store and tell them the cca and the group size or just try another store cuz it sounds like those people are just trying to get you to buy the most expensive battery they have....edit...I should have looked at the date my bad im a noob lol

Last edited:
Unfortunately batteries are not cheap any more. the majority of them are made by johnson controls and exide anyways so, brand really doesn't matter a whole lot. Get the best warranty you can afford.