About how much of a horsepower increase?

Ganton

Founding Member
Jul 4, 2000
Olympia, Wash. USA
Okay, now that I've driven my V-6 with the Flowmaster single exhaust a while, it feels like it has a little more "spunk," and the wife noticed it too....About how much of a horsepower increase would any of you guys in-the-know say it gained? Also, I take back what I said about the tip being too big and the drone: The tip looks just right now, after I've had it a while, and the sound is great too, not an annoying drone but "exhaust music to my ears!" :D

• Sponsors (?)

I could give you a URL that would put you in the middle of an argument that ranges from Zero through Two to as much as Ten HP increase. Take your pick.

Unless you have multiple dyno sheets showing differences due to the single change of Muffler One to Muffler Two, all you'll get is testimonials, not science.

Most days I "feel" about Eight HP richer with my FRPP M5230 GTA muffler. Some days Two. Some days it's more like Thirty-Five, but not for long ...

Okay, now that I've driven my V-6 with the Flowmaster single exhaust a while, it feels like it has a little more "spunk," and the wife noticed it too....About how much of a horsepower increase would any of you guys in-the-know say it gained? Also, I take back what I said about the tip being too big and the drone: The tip looks just right now, after I've had it a while, and the sound is great too, not an annoying drone but "exhaust music to my ears!" :D

most the muffler manufacturers advertise 12-20. I think 8 is about right by the 'butt dyno'. The exhaust system on the S197 is pretty good as is. Adding a better muffler is really the only thing you can do to improve hp a little.