? About timing cover

I finally got around to starting my H/C/I and s-trim install. I pulled everything apart, took the first 3 bolts on each side of the oil pan off and got the timing cover and water pump of as one. Now my question is how can I get the timing cover back on without pushed the oil pan gasket into the oil pan? I was thinking of cleaning it up real good and then using some rtv to set the gasket back in place. Does that sound feesable? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

That idea is feasable, but what I did was cut the old "u" shape part of the gasket and put in a new u shape. I put lots of rtv in the corners (block/pan/cover) meet to take up any gap that there might be...

It can be hard to manuever with those timing cover dowel pins in place, but you can get it.

With the new bottomend I just put in, I put on the timing cover/waterpump before the pan, made it much easier.

I just did a timong chain in my 93 5.0 coupe. What I did is cut the old gasket even with thwe block with a razor blade then loosen up the pan enough to lower the front so I could get the cover on the dowel pins. Oh yeh I did instal the new front part of the gasket with RTV at the edges. Worked great and with about 1,000 miles now no leaks!