About to do a tune-up, need adive.

Redeemedsoul

Sep 4, 2005
Hello all, I just bought my first 5.0. It's an 87 GT T-Tops in black, pics soon to come this weekend. It has 64,000 miles and is a manual. No service records though :bang: ..

I'm going to be doing a full tuneup, and its the first time ive tried to do one (im 20 and a shade tree mechanic but trying to learn)

I was wondering if this kit
http://www.go-parts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=tuneup_86_93&from=2
would be a good kit to go with.
I have a list of things i would like to do,

1- Wash engine
2- Change all filters (air, fuel, oil, pcv)
3- plugs and wires/cap and rotor
4- thermostat and flush radiator
5- check/fix timing (seems hard :shrug: )
6- clean TB and IAC
7- change serpentine belt
8- scrape battery/corosive crap
9- re-paint some dull rubber hoses and then armor all

10- Reflect at how long it took and go to sleep.

Any suggestions on the kit and my check list?
Also is the price decent?

Thanks!

Edit: hah, i was so worried i was going to forget the list i misspelt advice in the topic. Seems like college is working wonderfully!

• Sponsors (?)

That kit will be perfect for your tune up!! I love using Ford OEM parts. The only thing I would NOT do is clean the Throttle body. There is a tag on the 94-95's that says..DO NOT CLEAN...SPECIAL COATING ON TBODY......I am sure the fox body 5.0L's are the same way.

I would also suggest going with a K&N filter over the Motorcraft...and remove your air silencer in the inner fender.....it will free up some airflow!

One more thing...I would change all the hoses on the engine. Cut cut the heater core ones back and forth. Do not twist them...you could break your heater core hard line, and you would be Screwed for the next day putting a new one in.

checking/adjusting timing isnt hard at all, just need a timing light to check and if you need to change it just loosen the hold down bolt and rotate the dizzy.

the list looks good. i'd also add an ignition module and coil for peace of mind since your replacing everything else ignition related. could run some seafoam and fuel injector cleaner through the engine.

get some ether or starting fluid and spray around the engine for any possible vac leaks. replaced if you find anything

set the base idle and adjust TPS

get soem MAF sensor cleaner

just some ideas

drain trans and replace fluid and rearend also if you want

get the front end aligned and balance the tires

and dont forget to change the oil ;)